search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Reader's Notebook Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser1319
FPUser1319

5/13/2019
FPUser1319
FPUser1319
So I attended the first FPC multi-day institute 2 years ago. We are excited to be implementing the FPC program in our school now. When we attended 2 years ago, the most "advanced" reader's notebook was recommended for grades 3-5. Now, I understand that this same journal is recommended only for grade 5. I also distinctly remember that if schools chose to use spiral notebooks instead of the reader's notebook to save money, that would work too.

My question is: If we have teachers in those "tween" grades that have different opinions about which journal should be used, is it important for an entire grade to be using the same type of journal? I'm wondering if I like the upper grade journal and my teaching partner likes a spiral, does it matter? I feel like the big picture, important idea is that everyone is journaling... how the journal is organized or which journal you're writing in doesn't make a difference. If I'm wrong, please tell me the importance of everyone using the same journal.

To me, it gives a teacher a little bit of choice to work with her/his own teaching style. As we know with the children reading - choice is so important!

Thank You
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5/13/2019
FPUser1319 wrote:
So I attended the first FPC multi-day institute 2 years ago. We are excited to be implementing the FPC program in our school now. When we attended 2 years ago, the most "advanced" reader's notebook was recommended for grades 3-5. Now, I understand that this same journal is recommended only for grade 5. I also distinctly remember that if schools chose to use spiral notebooks instead of the reader's notebook to save money, that would work too.

My question is: If we have teachers in those "tween" grades that have different opinions about which journal should be used, is it important for an entire grade to be using the same type of journal? I'm wondering if I like the upper grade journal and my teaching partner likes a spiral, does it matter? I feel like the big picture, important idea is that everyone is journaling... how the journal is organized or which journal you're writing in doesn't make a difference. If I'm wrong, please tell me the importance of everyone using the same journal.

To me, it gives a teacher a little bit of choice to work with her/his own teaching style. As we know with the children reading - choice is so important!

Thank You

You are right in your thinking. Fountas and Pinnell give their rationales for the procedures but it is up to each individual to make the best decision for implementing based on your own situation. Some administrators may insist on particular procedures for their own additional reasons, others leave the decision to the teacher. These are decisions a school team should make together as part of building a consistent literacy vision across the school and/or district. However the decision can be that the type of notebook doesn't matter. On page 494 in Guided Reading: Responsive Teaching Across the Grades, the statement is "If you are using a reader's notebook..." The use of a Reader's Notebook for Intermediate and Middle Grades is described in more detail beginning on page 560 of Guided Reading. After reading the details discuss and decide as a team whether it matters or not.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link