search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

In need of book list for 1st grade IRA... Messages in this topic - RSS

Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

8/29/2019
teachinabcs wrote:
Hi!
I teach first grade and we are getting F&P IRA in a few weeks. My colleagues and I are very overwhelmed since this was purchased so late and we already started the school year. We are sharing 1 box among 8 teachers. I need to know the book list NOW so we can start preparing for this school year. What is the book list for First Grade IRA? I need all 120 titles so we can start purchasing books!! Thank you!

Also, has anyone aligned IRA with writing workshop? I do not mean writing about reading. I mean actually teaching students how to write narratives, opinion pieces, how-to's, and informational writing. I am in need of something for writing as well. What can we use since we do not have anything?! HELP!!
edited by teachinabcs on 8/28/2019

Hi. Although I am sure you are overwhelmed, as we all tend to be, with the beginning of the school year and new materials, I believe the IRA Collection will be a strong support for you and your colleagues. RE’ A list of IRA titles: you might try to contact customer service to get the book list, although I am a bit confused why you are wanting to purchase books as the FPL IRA comes with the books as well as lessons. The books are organized into 25 text sets so you can focus on a theme, genre, illustrator or author and use several books to explore that topic and make connections with your students. Although there is a suggested sequence of using the text sets, when sharing with other teachers, you could change that order.

RE’ Writing Workshop: you could use some of the texts for mentoring writing (as you suggested)and conducting mini lessons. Chapter 2 of Guided Reading Responsive Teaching Across the Grades discusses the Four Instructional Contexts for Writing that should be included in Writing Workshop. Some of the IRA lessons will give suggestions for writing. When writing about reading, you could focus on a mentor text, conducting mini-lessons and teaching how to write narratives, informational writing, etc. There is however, no specific alignment given of IRA with writing workshop. You might ask that question of other teachers on the Fountas and Pinnell Literacy Group Facebook page.

I hope this has helped in some way and that you will enjoy using the IRA that you have ordered.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link

8/29/2019
teachinabcs wrote:
Hi!
I teach first grade and we are getting F&P IRA in a few weeks. My colleagues and I are very overwhelmed since this was purchased so late and we already started the school year. We are sharing 1 box among 8 teachers. I need to know the book list NOW so we can start preparing for this school year. What is the book list for First Grade IRA? I need all 120 titles so we can start purchasing books!! Thank you!

Also, has anyone aligned IRA with writing workshop? I do not mean writing about reading. I mean actually teaching students how to write narratives, opinion pieces, how-to's, and informational writing. I am in need of something for writing as well. What can we use since we do not have anything?! HELP!!
edited by teachinabcs on 8/28/2019

I wanted to update my response. I have just found out that you can contact your local sales representative and he/she will help you get a code to access the Online Resources. There you will find a list of all the IRA books.

Thanks again for your question regarding materials for IRA. We wish you success in the upcoming year.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link