search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Grade 1 students struggle with letter recognition Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser113587
FPUser113587

6 days ago
FPUser113587
FPUser113587
I am a full time LLI teacher. I have 4 grade 1 students that I are only able to identify a few letters of the alphabet and know only a few letter sounds. We are wondering how to best meet their needs. We are thinking that they would get regular classroom support of course as well as LLI, but even if I start them in the orange program, does it have what these students require? Wondering what you might recommend.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

4 days ago
FPUser113587 wrote:
I am a full time LLI teacher. I have 4 grade 1 students that I are only able to identify a few letters of the alphabet and know only a few letter sounds. We are wondering how to best meet their needs. We are thinking that they would get regular classroom support of course as well as LLI, but even if I start them in the orange program, does it have what these students require? Wondering what you might recommend.

I think it would be helpful to read through the goals and expectations for Levels A-D in the Literacy Continuum. The Continuum is found at the end of each section of lessons in the Lesson Guide. In the goals you will find how you are teaching for the items of knowledge while teaching students to use them to search for and use to monitor, solve, and correct. The Green system will help move the students more quickly to reach grade one goals. Sometimes we find that the students learned the items of knowedge, like letters and words, but not how to use them in reading and writing or to monitor and search to use them for solving using a range of flexible strategies. With your specific teaching and a focus on the strategic actions for thinking, the students should be able to accelerate their learning. They may not need 20 lessons at these levels like the Orange system provides. I suggest starting with the Green system and using the Orange, if needed, to add lessons ONLY if needed. Aim for moving more quickly following the gradient of text and goals in the Literacy Continuum. The Literacy Continuum describes that by level D students should know all of the letters and how to use them, by the end of first grade they should know the letter-sound relationships, and how to use them. The Overview found at the following link may help demonstrate how to use the Continuum across levels. (Note the last 2 pages for the PWS overview.) This is just a sampling of behaviors found in the Continuum from the Lesson Guides or the Expanded edition of the Literacy Continuum. https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/resource?id=140

When Readers Struggle has some specifics for teaching once you determine the areas of learning that are tricky for your students (see chapter 3).

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link