search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

PWS Grade 3 Messages in this topic - RSS

kfainter
kfainter

11/5/2019
kfainter
kfainter
I am really confused by all the resources in the kit. I watched the video and some of the pre-made cards that were sent to me are labeled with lesson numbers but some are not labeled at all. How do I know which lesson they align with? Also-is there a way to go in and print all the online resources all at once or do I have to go lesson by lesson? This seems very cumbersome to get started and organized if that is the case.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/5/2019
kfainter wrote:
I am really confused by all the resources in the kit. I watched the video and some of the pre-made cards that were sent to me are labeled with lesson numbers but some are not labeled at all. How do I know which lesson they align with? Also-is there a way to go in and print all the online resources all at once or do I have to go lesson by lesson? This seems very cumbersome to get started and organized if that is the case.

You have so many more resources than you may need for lessons. Use the ones with lesson numbers to file with the lessons. The blanks are to be used for application activities or centers for those who do them, and to create your own lesson and activities.

If you want to print all of the OLR you can go to the General Resources, but I can't imagine that you would want to do that. I suggest that you just go week by week this first year until you see what you truly need.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link
kfainter
kfainter

11/6/2019
kfainter
kfainter
What about the cards that are labeled "compound words" or "-ed endings", etc... but not with an actual lesson number - what is the suggestion for how to store these so they are accessible (since I assume they are to be used in multiple lessons), and is there a list somewhere of which lessons need those cards?

Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
kfainter wrote:

You have so many more resources than you may need for lessons. Use the ones with lesson numbers to file with the lessons. The blanks are to be used for application activities or centers for those who do them, and to create your own lesson and activities.

If you want to print all of the OLR you can go to the General Resources, but I can't imagine that you would want to do that. I suggest that you just go week by week this first year until you see what you truly need.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link

11/6/2019
kfainter wrote:
What about the cards that are labeled "compound words" or "-ed endings", etc... but not with an actual lesson number - what is the suggestion for how to store these so they are accessible (since I assume they are to be used in multiple lessons), and is there a list somewhere of which lessons need those cards?

Get to know the 9 Areas of Learning so you can locate the principles and lessons quickly. Some words can be used across multiple areas of learning. All can be used in the WSA lessons you may generate.

Compound Words are usually Word Structure lessons- See the Comprehensive PWS Guide p. 54 for principles 15-18; WS Lesson Guide map of 9 areas across the year p. 43 #8 WS 1-2; Lessons on p. 343-350 Both of those lessons are generative so you have extra examples to do the lessons as needed.

There are also lessons with Compound Words in WMV lessons- WMV 5-6

-ed endings (any suffix) is WS lesson - Comprehensive Guide p. 57-67 for all suffixes, p. 60 #47-48, 50, 52 are the principles for -ed; Map p. 44 WS12, Lesson Guide p. 387- another generative lessons so the extra cards are to present the lessons you may need for this principle.

Fountas and Pinnell do not know your students and the exact lessons they need across the year so you have the resources for teaching many lessons. You must observe your students and analyze those records and observations to decide which lesson is needed next. Responsive teaching means teaching the children not just a program of lessons because they are there. It may take some time to shift to this way of thinking about word study lessons but I'm sure you and your students will come to appreciate it!

Debbie

Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
kfainter wrote:

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link