search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

FPC Resources - Multiage Classroom? HELP Messages in this topic - RSS

Angie O.
Angie O.

1/22/2020
Angie O.
Angie O.
We recently purchased and adopted multiple FPC components (IRA, RML, SR, PWS) in our K-5 Elementary school. We offer Multiage programming, meaning some of our class sections are composed of students from 2 grades. 1/2 Multiage is composed of students in "grades" 1 and 2 (classes are typically evenly distributed by age). Students enroll in the 1/2 class for 2 years, initially as a 1st-grader, with 2nd-grade peers, and then as a 2nd-grader with new, 1st-grade peers.

Currently, our teachers rotate curricular resources on an A/B schedule, meaning regardless of a students' grade-level enrollment, on the A year, FPC: Grade 1 (IRA, RML, SR, PWS) materials drive the universal/Tier 1 instruction and on the B year, its FPC: Grade 2. All students eventually experience both the Grade 1 and Grade 2 curricular resources, but not in chronological order or per their assigned grade level. We also offer Multiage programming in Grades 3/4; staff follows the same A/B cycle outlined above.

Recently I have begun to wonder if students who transfer in or out of our district, could miss curricular content if they enroll in our multiage program. For example, if a 2nd grader moves into our school when the teacher is using FPC: Grade 1 materials, they would miss universal 2nd-grade curricular resources/curriculum. Then I began to wonder if it is appropriate for a 3rd-grade student to have 4th grade focused lessons, and then complete our 3rd-grade state Assessment?

So what I am hoping y'all can help me with is: HOW firm or influential is the GRADE portion of the FPC components? Is it more consequential for some components? ie: PWS and SR, but nor IRA and RML? I realize that individual student need AND the continuum drive individualized instruction, but what is our obligation to ensure that the universal instruction is aligned with students' grade level and the corresponding CCSS?

Any guidance is so greatly appreciated!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

1/23/2020
Angie O. wrote:
We recently purchased and adopted multiple FPC components (IRA, RML, SR, PWS) in our K-5 Elementary school. We offer Multiage programming, meaning some of our class sections are composed of students from 2 grades. 1/2 Multiage is composed of students in "grades" 1 and 2 (classes are typically evenly distributed by age). Students enroll in the 1/2 class for 2 years, initially as a 1st-grader, with 2nd-grade peers, and then as a 2nd-grader with new, 1st-grade peers.

Currently, our teachers rotate curricular resources on an A/B schedule, meaning regardless of a students' grade-level enrollment, on the A year, FPC: Grade 1 (IRA, RML, SR, PWS) materials drive the universal/Tier 1 instruction and on the B year, its FPC: Grade 2. All students eventually experience both the Grade 1 and Grade 2 curricular resources, but not in chronological order or per their assigned grade level. We also offer Multiage programming in Grades 3/4; staff follows the same A/B cycle outlined above.

Recently I have begun to wonder if students who transfer in or out of our district, could miss curricular content if they enroll in our multiage program. For example, if a 2nd grader moves into our school when the teacher is using FPC: Grade 1 materials, they would miss universal 2nd-grade curricular resources/curriculum. Then I began to wonder if it is appropriate for a 3rd-grade student to have 4th grade focused lessons, and then complete our 3rd-grade state Assessment?

So what I am hoping y'all can help me with is: HOW firm or influential is the GRADE portion of the FPC components? Is it more consequential for some components? ie: PWS and SR, but nor IRA and RML? I realize that individual student need AND the continuum drive individualized instruction, but what is our obligation to ensure that the universal instruction is aligned with students' grade level and the corresponding CCSS?

Any guidance is so greatly appreciated!

All of the FPC resources are based on the Literacy Continuum goals and expectations. Many of the behaviors overlap between grade levels. It is left to the teacher to assess and respond to the needs of the students in selecting the goals for focus in every instructional context. The FPC materials should be no problem for a multiage program such as the one you have described. The resources may actually make it easier for teachers. Grade level is not as important as the behaviors in a responsive teaching model of instruction for any of the contexts. As long as teachers use the Continuum it should be appropriate.

The Literacy Continuum aligns with Common Core SS. You can find that document at the following link. http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/385

Most phonics (LSR) principles are taught in first grade. The Comprehensive PWS Guide should help ensure that the principles are being taught when appropriate.

Thank you for being an advocate for students!
Debbie
0 link