search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

Next Gen Standards Alignment Messages in this topic - RSS

wendela
wendela

5/11/2020
wendela
wendela
I know there are alignment documents for the Common Core Standards. Will they be updated for the Next Gen Standards? I have not found specific teaching on point of view: 3R6: Discuss how the reader’s point of view or perspective may differ from that of the author, narrator, or characters in a text. (RI&RL) Thank you!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5/11/2020
wendela wrote:
I know there are alignment documents for the Common Core Standards. Will they be updated for the Next Gen Standards? I have not found specific teaching on point of view: 3R6: Discuss how the reader’s point of view or perspective may differ from that of the author, narrator, or characters in a text. (RI&RL) Thank you!

NY is the only state I know using Next Gen Standards and they have done a correlation for Next Gen and Fountas and Pinnell. Please contact your local sales rep for that information. https://www.heinemann.com/distributors.aspx?_ga=2.204521936.1189132442.1588713724-303919469.1583381492

The Continuum language does not match exactly. Usually the Continuum expectation is more specific and broken into smaller pieces across the literacy instructional contexts.
I think the following expectations would fit that standard. These are the expectations. The actual lessons for teaching vary in the instructional contexts using the mentor texts and examples selected by the teacher. If you are looking for the specific minilessons for teaching you must go to the resource for the context. (the document mentioned above lists the minilessons from FPC that correspond to the Next Gen standards) https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/classroomresources/

The CCSS alignment document page 61 has the grade 3 RL 6 standard.
In IRA: Express opinions about characters in a story....
In SR: Acquire new ideas....; Gain insight into perspectives....
In WAR: Express feelings....
In GR: Take on perspectives...; Share opinions...

p. 65 has the 3 RI 6 standard.
IRA: Form and state the basis for opinions about authors and illustrators
SR: Infer information from nonfiction illustrations and book and print features (to infer you have to bring your own understanding to the text)
WAR: Form and express opinions about a text and/or an author or illustrator in writing and support those opinions with rationales and evidence
GR:
Express new ways of thinking based on engagement with the text
Infer the meaning of a range of graphics that require reader interpretation and are essential to comprehending the text
Infer the writer’s purpose in choosing a topic or telling a story
Assess whether a text is authentic and consistent with life experience
Talk critically about what a writer does to make a topic interesting or important

If you cannot find the sales rep please email me at debbiemagoulick@heinemann.com.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link