search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

LLI on a modified schedule Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser141995
FPUser141995

6/25/2020
FPUser141995
FPUser141995
I'm an elementary school principal in New Mexico. My campus purchased LLI last year and experienced wonderful success with it in K-2. All of our teachers are on board for continuing LLI in the fall, especially since we missed quite a bit of instruction time at the end of the year and know many students will need extra support. I just found out that we will start the year with a modified schedule. Students will come to school two days each week Mon/Tues or Thurs/Fri. They will learn online using pre-recorded science and social studies lessons as well as computer based programs on the days they are at home. The goal is to have fewer students on campus each day so we can practice social distancing. Since teachers will be teaching four days a week, they won't be able to lead LLI lessons virtually with groups of students who are learning at home. My question is - Can two LLI lessons be taught in a day (one AM and one PM)? That way students can receive four LLI lessons each week. Then we could send the books home for students to practice with while they are at home. If that won't work do you have any suggestions for continuing LLI with this schedule?
edited by FPUser141995 on 6/25/2020
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

6/27/2020
FPUser141995 wrote:
I'm an elementary school principal in New Mexico. My campus purchased LLI last year and experienced wonderful success with it in K-2. All of our teachers are on board for continuing LLI in the fall, especially since we missed quite a bit of instruction time at the end of the year and know many students will need extra support. I just found out that we will start the year with a modified schedule. Students will come to school two days each week Mon/Tues or Thurs/Fri. They will learn online using pre-recorded science and social studies lessons as well as computer based programs on the days they are at home. The goal is to have fewer students on campus each day so we can practice social distancing. Since teachers will be teaching four days a week, they won't be able to lead LLI lessons virtually with groups of students who are learning at home. My question is - Can two LLI lessons be taught in a day (one AM and one PM)? That way students can receive four LLI lessons each week. Then we could send the books home for students to practice with while they are at home. If that won't work do you have any suggestions for continuing LLI with this schedule?
edited by FPUser141995 on 6/25/2020

We are glad you are finding LLI such a valuable tool. As you know, LLI is a very intensive program. Because of the intensity, we encourage teachers to stick with only one LLI lesson as well as including the students in one guided reading lesson per day. During Guided Reading, teachers will need to use the Literacy Continuum to reinforce appropriate strategic action reading behaviors as well as phonics and word work for the level. This protocol would mean they would have books being sent home from LLI as well as from the Guided Reading lesson.

Best Wishes for successful planning for the coming year,
Helenann

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link