Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Question about administering BAS Messages in this topic - RSS

framingham
framingham

11 days ago
framingham
framingham
Hello,
I am wondering if it is acceptable to have the student read the same BAS reader twice to see if they correct any of the mistakes made in the first reading? Is it a rule that they only read it once? I had a student read it twice and she corrected some of the mistakes from the first reading so I was not sure if I can edit the running record?
I am new at administering the BAS.

Thanks.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10 days ago
framingham wrote:
Hello,
I am wondering if it is acceptable to have the student read the same BAS reader twice to see if they correct any of the mistakes made in the first reading? Is it a rule that they only read it once? I had a student read it twice and she corrected some of the mistakes from the first reading so I was not sure if I can edit the running record?
I am new at administering the BAS.

Thanks.

Thank you for your inquiry. The Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment is a standardized, formal assessment administered with an unseen, unfamiliar text so that the teacher can obtain observable evidence of what the child can do independently in terms of processing and understanding. If the text is familiar to the child, (previously read) or if the content is discussed previously with him or her, the assessment will not provide valid data for placement.

Best Wishes,
Helenann

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link