Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Summary Question Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser201461
FPUser201461

9/22/2021
FPUser201461
FPUser201461
I know we can restate a question if a student doesn't understand. What would be the best way to restate the question about Summarize the important events in the story?? (fiction) and Summarize the important information in the book. (nonfiction)

I am not sure our expectation of a summary matches up with what the assessment is looking for. Many of our teachers view a summary as a brief statement and the expectation of the BAS seems to have more details in it.

We would just like to know an appropriate way to restate the question without leading to an answer. I hope this makes sense!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

9/22/2021
FPUser201461 wrote:
I know we can restate a question if a student doesn't understand. What would be the best way to restate the question about Summarize the important events in the story?? (fiction) and Summarize the important information in the book. (nonfiction)

I am not sure our expectation of a summary matches up with what the assessment is looking for. Many of our teachers view a summary as a brief statement and the expectation of the BAS seems to have more details in it.
We would just like to know an appropriate way to restate the question without leading to an answer. I hope this makes sense!

The Assessment Guide provides some good examples for what makes a good summary for the levels of text (primary and intermediate). Use the Literacy Continuum to look at the expectations for summarizing at each level of complexity to help guide your instruction. If students have not been taught the summarizing behaviors then note that on your assessment and select goals for teaching (put those in the white box at the bottom of the Assessment Summary page or make a note for whole group instruction lessons). If students do not provide the detailed summary with the general prompts suggested, move on in the conversation. You are gathering evidence to guide your teaching and it sounds like you have it. Also note the wording on the comprehension rubric with regards to the logical summary becoming more complex. The italicized words should guide the scoring.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link