Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Comprehension Conversation Rubric Question Messages in this topic - RSS

Manton Elementary
Manton Elementary

12/6/2021
When scoring the comprehension conversation in levels L-Z, a student was not able to identify the genre specifically but was able to provide some characteristics of the genre. What would you score this? If a student cannot identify the genre, do we go right to "not proficient?" Thanks for your guidance!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

12/7/2021
Manton Elementary wrote:
When scoring the comprehension conversation in levels L-Z, a student was not able to identify the genre specifically but was able to provide some characteristics of the genre. What would you score this? If a student cannot identify the genre, do we go right to "not proficient?" Thanks for your guidance!

That is in indicator of what needs to be taught next. Although I cannot identify the specific score, it would be limited or approaching proficiency depending on the student’s responses. My best advice is to always, when in doubt about the score and placement … take a look at Benchmark Assessment Guide, Section 3: Recommended Placement Level / Looking Beyond the Numbers. This is very helpful in fine-tuning decisions about placement. “The Recommended Placement level is the level you decide is most appropriate for reading instruction. It reflects your thinking about all of the data gathered during the assessment. Most of the time, the placement level is the same as the instructional level, but sometimes a look at the reading behaviors and the specific data leads you to a different decision. In fact, no matter what the assessment shows, it always requires qualitative judgment on the part of the teacher.“

Scores do not ever ‘tell the whole story’. Analysis for instruction is always the key to determining the best level to begin or continue instruction.

I hope this helps your decision making,
Best Wishes,
Helenann

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link