Help America Read
Help America Read contains everything you would want a literacy volunteer in your classroom to know about tutoring children. Designed to help the volunteer become more self-reliant, this handbook includes guidance on working with children.
What is it?
People who volunteer their time to help children learn reading and writing are demonstrating the true meaning of citizenship to our young citizens. Help America Read is a resource that provides the right support to help them make an impact that will last a lifetime.
Who is it for?
Help America Read is a resource for volunteers who are contributing their time to help ensure a better future for our children by providing individual instruction in the most important skills children will learn—reading and writing.
What is inside?
Help America Read contains everything volunteers need to make the most of their time tutoring children, including:
- Ten specific ways of working with children, with guides and suggestions for each
- Many book lists, including multicultural titles, at several grade levels
- Concrete suggestions, without assuming that you know how to perform basic teaching tasks
- Sample lesson plans
- Time management tips
- Basic information on phonics and fluency in reading and writing
- Guidelines for working with individuals as well as groups.
How is it implemented?
Through Help America Read, Fountas and Pinnell provide instruction based upon sound research on how children learn to read and write. You will learn how to gain children’s trust, monitor their comfort level, and create a positive learning environment. Perhaps most important, you will realize what a critical service you are providing when you’re needed most.