search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Updated Comprehension Conversation Score? Messages in this topic - RSS

Dawn Lawson
Dawn Lawson

9/29/2017
Dawn Lawson
Dawn Lawson
I'm wondering how the updates on the "Guide to Total Score" correlate with the previous scoring guides. A 4 was limited proficiency on the old reading records, but now it says approaching proficiency? What are the differences in these updates?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

9/29/2017
Dawn Lawson wrote:
I'm wondering how the updates on the "Guide to Total Score" correlate with the previous scoring guides. A 4 was limited proficiency on the old reading records, but now it says approaching proficiency? What are the differences in these updates?

I am not quite certain what you are asking, but here is a link to the explanation of change.
http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/379

Within this document Fountas and Pinnell clarify the reason for change...
Clarified Comprehension Conversation Scoring (Guide to Total Score): We have found that teachers need more guidance on how to conduct the comprehension conversa- tion portion of the reading record. To provide this help, we have more clearly defined this process through the creation of the new rubric and have updated the scoring criteria. As a result, we hope for more consistency and accuracy in scoring this portion of the assessment. Elimination of the extra point (which appears on the BAS, 1st and 2nd Edition Recording Forms) will bring greater consistency of scoring among teachers.

Revised Comprehension Conversation key understandings and prompts to help you elicit key understandings from students during the conversation that align to The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition.

We have to look beyond the numbers to the clarified rubric changes, changes made to the books, as well as the comprehension key understanding changes.

[In Edition 3] we created more detailed assessment guidelines. We also created new comprehension conversation rubrics to more clearly define the criteria for each comprehension score. With the clear guidelines and rubrics, we are confident that you and your colleagues will achieve consistency. The new guidelines and rubric will enable you to sharpen their observation of students’ reading behaviors and strengthen the connection from assessment to instruction. With refinement comes reflection.

All of these changes add up to a difference in scoring.
Users of BAS, First or Second Edition will continue to use the original Recording Forms that came as part of the system. Access to the new, clarified Recording Forms will only come with the purchase of BAS, Third Edition because changes have been made to both the BAS Books and the Recording Forms. Because the actual text of a number of the books in the BAS, 3rd Edition have been modified (factual updates, etc.), using BAS, 2nd Edition books with BAS, 3rd Edition Recording Forms is not compatible....

I hope this helps answer your question.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
FPUser59823
FPUser59823

14 days ago
FPUser59823
FPUser59823
Regardless of whether we are using the updated version or not, only the "Updated" test forms are available to print from the F & P Resource Respository website. It seems necessary to use the updated scoring guides. It would be very helpful to have this new conversion form available online, so that the criteria correlates with the (only) available test forms.
edited by FPUser59823 on 3/10/2019
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

13 days ago
FPUser59823 wrote:
Regardless of whether we are using the updated version or not, only the "Updated" test forms are available to print from the F & P Resource Respository website. It seems necessary to use the updated scoring guides. It would be very helpful to have this new conversion form available online, so that the criteria correlates with the (only) available test forms.
edited by FPUser59823 on 3/10/2019

If you are using the BAS, 2nd edition you should print the forms from the Online Resources under BAS, 2nd edition. The forms are different for BAS, 2nd edition and BAS, 3rd edition. I am not sure which scoring guide is not matching? You should not mix the 2 editions. The FAQ and response follows.

Can I use a mix of Benchmark Assessment materials from the Second and Third Editions?

No. Changes have been made to both the Benchmark Assessment books and the Recording Forms. Using Second Edition books with Third Edition Recording Forms will not work because the text of the book and the text on the form will not always match, which will affect your ability to score a reader's accuracy.
If you could clarify which form you are using that does not match the edition you are using I might be able to help.

Debbie
0 link