search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Read Aloud - To Show or Not Show the Book Messages in this topic - RSS

Lisa F.
Lisa F.

1/23/2018
Lisa F.
Lisa F.
As I do an interactive read aloud, many times I prefer not to show the students the pictures, especially if I want the students to visualize, infer, and so forth. I want them taking the words I am saying during my Think Aloud and creating their own images and inferences and connections.

Do you have any suggestions on this topic, please?

Thank you.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

1/24/2018
Lisa F. wrote:
As I do an interactive read aloud, many times I prefer not to show the students the pictures, especially if I want the students to visualize, infer, and so forth. I want them taking the words I am saying during my Think Aloud and creating their own images and inferences and connections.

Do you have any suggestions on this topic, please?

Thank you.

It sounds like you are wondering about how to hold the book for an IRA. Children need to see the model of how to hold a book to read so I agree that you read then turn the book around to show the pictures. I have seen many children become confused with early literacy concepts of book handling and spatial orientation because of models of turning the book to face the audience.
IRA is focused on listening to the reading and having discussion not looking at the text, but for some texts much of the meaning is in the illustrations so students need to see the pictures. If you want students to visualize then explain that to them from the beginning and show the pictures on the second reading. How you read any text depends on your purpose for selecting the text.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
FPUser81743
FPUser81743

6/13/2018
FPUser81743
FPUser81743
ed
0 link