search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

MSV Scoring Messages in this topic - RSS

torihubb2910
torihubb2910

2/8/2018
torihubb2910
torihubb2910
I am in college studying to be a teacher. We are using running records for the first time this semester with struggling readers at an elementary school. Our professor taught us how to score the MSV portion for errors and self-correction, but in all her examples she only had one error or self-correction per line. I administered a running record this morning and the student had more than one error per line multiple times. Should I use a tally system under the MSV sections? We were taught to write MSV in those columns on the same line where an error or self-correction took place. However, if I have to analyze multiple errors and circle which cueing system, how do I indicate that he used meaning two times for that line? I've only seen people circling the MS or V when I searched this issue I'm having. My professor has yet to respond to me, but I wanted to start scoring the cueing systems.

Thank you!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

2/8/2018
torihubb2910 wrote:
I am in college studying to be a teacher. We are using running records for the first time this semester with struggling readers at an elementary school. Our professor taught us how to score the MSV portion for errors and self-correction, but in all her examples she only had one error or self-correction per line. I administered a running record this morning and the student had more than one error per line multiple times. Should I use a tally system under the MSV sections? We were taught to write MSV in those columns on the same line where an error or self-correction took place. However, if I have to analyze multiple errors and circle which cueing system, how do I indicate that he used meaning two times for that line? I've only seen people circling the MS or V when I searched this issue I'm having. My professor has yet to respond to me, but I wanted to start scoring the cueing systems.

Thank you!

You will analyze the error by putting MSV in the right column next to the line and circle which cues were used. Then for the second error in that line, put another MSV below the first MSV and circle which cues were used in the second error.

I hope that makes sense!
edited by Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant on 2/8/2018

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
+1 link
torihubb2910
torihubb2910

2/8/2018
torihubb2910
torihubb2910
Thank you! Also, when I am assessing which cueing system they are using, do I include their insertion in my analysis? For example, the original sentence was," 'But how many times did I tell you to clean your room this week?' asked mom." My student read that sentence in the following manner: "'But you have money (then self-corrected to many) times do I tell you to clean your room this week?' asked mom." So, when I check to see if they were using MSV do I look at the sentence with all the words they inserted? Like with the above example sentence, it makes sense and is grammatically correct to say "But you have money" even though that is not what the original text says. I know that was complicated, but I am really trying to get this down so I can come up with the best lessons/strategies to help him. Thank you!
0 link

2/9/2018
torihubb2910 wrote:
Thank you! Also, when I am assessing which cueing system they are using, do I include their insertion in my analysis? For example, the original sentence was," 'But how many times did I tell you to clean your room this week?' asked mom." My student read that sentence in the following manner: "'But you have money (then self-corrected to many) times do I tell you to clean your room this week?' asked mom." So, when I check to see if they were using MSV do I look at the sentence with all the words they inserted? Like with the above example sentence, it makes sense and is grammatically correct to say "But you have money" even though that is not what the original text says. I know that was complicated, but I am really trying to get this down so I can come up with the best lessons/strategies to help him. Thank you!

You do not analyze insertions or omissions because there is no text to compare the word to. (In this case, you would not analyze the word ‘you’. However, when analyzing the substitution of have for how or money for many... you would analyze up to and including the error. So you would include the insertion (you) when you analyze the substituted word have for how and when analyzing the word money for many. I hope this makes sense.
I wish you the very best as you determine next steps for your student.

--
+1 link
McFadden
McFadden

4/9/2018
McFadden
McFadden
Where can I find information about how to analyze the MSV errors, I need to do a PD on MSV when completing a F&P running record and I want some information to help teachers with where can I find it in the BAS assessment book and we are not using the 3rd edition. Please help.
0 link

4/10/2018
McFadden wrote:
Where can I find information about how to analyze the MSV errors, I need to do a PD on MSV when completing a F&P running record and I want some information to help teachers with where can I find it in the BAS assessment book and we are not using the 3rd edition. Please help.

You will find assessment conference videos and tutorials in the DVD’s that were provided with your assessment systems.
These will be a powerful support for your PD.

We wish you success.

--
0 link