search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Sharing LLI Kits Messages in this topic - RSS

lhegarty
lhegarty

4/2/2018
lhegarty
lhegarty
Hi,

We are looking to start LLI next year but funds are limited so we'll have to start small and build the program over time. I'm wondering how many teachers could potentially work from the same kit at the same time? Using the Blue Kit for Grade 2 as an example, if there are 3 LLI groups at a Level C meeting at the same time, do we need to have 3 LLI Blue Kits? Or is there a way to share the materials?

Thank you!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

4/2/2018
lhegarty wrote:
Hi,

We are looking to start LLI next year but funds are limited so we'll have to start small and build the program over time. I'm wondering how many teachers could potentially work from the same kit at the same time? Using the Blue Kit for Grade 2 as an example, if there are 3 LLI groups at a Level C meeting at the same time, do we need to have 3 LLI Blue Kits? Or is there a way to share the materials?

Thank you!

If three teachers are sharing and three groups are at the same level, you will need to have one person start lessons and do 8 to 10 lessons. Then have the next person begin... doing about 8 - 10 lessons... etc. That way, the books needed for the lessons will be available and the books that go home will be available as well. Because you are waiting, you could use the level B lessons and books to review strategic behaviors that may have been missed. You want the (8-10 lesson) spacing due to absences, field trips, assemblies, etc. Fountas and Pinnell usually encourage a maximum of 2 teachers to one system, but I have seen 3 working together as long as you are very organized. If you are able to order more systems, you would do well to order the Green System (containing levels A to K) as a back up. If a group gets through the Blue System Level C for example, and needs more work before moving up to Level D, you would be able to use the Green System Level C lessons to fill in missing gaps. The Green System contains concepts, themes, ideas and understandings developmentally appropriate for first graders whereas the Blue System is more appropriate for children in second grade.

We wish you success as you choose the best system based on your students’ needs.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
FPUser103287
FPUser103287

11/23/2018
FPUser103287
FPUser103287
Hello,

I know this is an old message, but I was wondering something similar. How many groups of students can work from the one kit throughout the day? My school is looking at purchasing the Green Kit, and I will be working with groups of 3 students at a time as recommended. Is it possible to work with say 4 or 5 different groups from the one kit?

Thanks
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/26/2018
FPUser103287 wrote:
Hello,

I know this is an old message, but I was wondering something similar. How many groups of students can work from the one kit throughout the day? My school is looking at purchasing the Green Kit, and I will be working with groups of 3 students at a time as recommended. Is it possible to work with say 4 or 5 different groups from the one kit?

Thanks

It is possible depending on which lessons each group is in. Each LLI system has texts for one-two groups in each lesson at a time. When students are reading the same level, working on the same lesson, you will need more Take Home books since there are only 6 of each in each system. You would have to keep the colored copies of books centrally to use with each group. When students are spread into other levels within a system this is not a problem. It becomes even trickier if different teachers are trying to share a system. Then you have to arrange schedules so you do not need the same books at the same time.

The logistics will depend on the levels for each group and the number of teachers using the systems.

Best wishes as you implement LLI!
Debbie
0 link