search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Alphabet Knowledge Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser74642
FPUser74642

5/1/2018
FPUser74642
FPUser74642
Our school is looking at adopting the new F&P Classroom. I am a kindergarten teacher and I'm concerned that I haven't seen any lessons that focus on letter names and sounds. From what I have seen so far in the videos and samples I don't see any lessons on learning the letters and their sounds. Is this a whole language program?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5/2/2018
FPUser74642 wrote:
Our school is looking at adopting the new F&P Classroom. I am a kindergarten teacher and I'm concerned that I haven't seen any lessons that focus on letter names and sounds. From what I have seen so far in the videos and samples I don't see any lessons on learning the letters and their sounds. Is this a whole language program?

F&P Classroom is based on the latest research which includes resources that maximize student learning with systematic lessons, student books and materials, and powerful tools that guide teachers’ language and actions and support them in expert decision making for high-impact literacy instruction. Phonics, spelling, and word study are woven into the various instructional contexts within Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ (FPC) including the Phonics, Spelling and Word Study System, Shared Reading Collection and Guided Reading Collection. The F&P Classroom resources are all based on the Literacy Continuum which is the cornerstone document determining strategic action behaviors required to reach proficiency at every gradient text level and at every grade level. Please see this blog about FPC linked here to see how phonics and word study are woven into each of the above listed areas: http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/q-how-is-phonics-and-word-study-integrated-into-fountas-and-pinnell-classroom
Thank you for a great question. We wish you success in your instructional decision making.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
DebbieMF
DebbieMF

10/21/2018
DebbieMF
DebbieMF
I have this very same question. Many of students do not know their letters and sounds so I am wondering where this addressed as well in the kindergarten program. I tried to follow the link provided in the response but could not find the article they were referring to. Have you found where and how F and P address letter and knowledge teaching?
0 link

10/21/2018
DebbieMF wrote:
I have this very same question. Many of students do not know their letters and sounds so I am wondering where this addressed as well in the kindergarten program. I tried to follow the link provided in the response but could not find the article they were referring to. Have you found where and how F and P address letter and knowledge teaching?

I am sorry that article did not connect with the link given in the previous response. Please go to fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com You will find FAQ Friday blog posts. Do a search for.... How are phonics and word study integrated into the Fountas and Pinnell Classroom? The blog post will pop up on the right side of the web page.

In Kindergarten, if you are using the MASTER LESSON GUIDE Suggested Sequence for Phonics Lessons for Kindergarten (listed in the General Resources of the Online Resources), you will begin with recognizing names, then rhyming words and then on lesson #6: Understand That Words are Formed with Letters. That will be your introduction to Early Literacy Conecpts that children must know and understand. It starts with the foundation and builds from there. The Master Guide gives suggestions for working with small groups of children who need more support as well.

I hope this helps.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link