search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Phonics, Spelling & Word Study Pacing Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser64941
FPUser64941

10/18/2018
FPUser64941
FPUser64941

I’m new to implementing the F&P phonics and word study system. In regard to pacing, I understand that the provided sequence of 100 lessons is a suggestion and the lessons should be taught considering the children in front of me. Could you provide me with a typical range in regards to how many principles are covered or lessons taught in a week or across a school year?
Teachers in my K-2 building who have taught using the 2003 version of PWS seem to vary greatly across a grade level in terms of how many principles they typically covered in a year. Some say they usually taught one principle per week, some say they taught one principle in a two week cycle, others have been teaching about 2-3 per week. We have 10 classrooms per grade level and across the school our students have very different experiences and exposures to the PWS principles as a result of teachers approaching their pacing so differently. I understand there will be some variation but when some teachers cover 18 principles in a year, some cover 36, and others almost 100, the variation is too wide. What is a recommended range?
Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10/18/2018
FPUser64941 wrote:

I’m new to implementing the F&P phonics and word study system. In regard to pacing, I understand that the provided sequence of 100 lessons is a suggestion and the lessons should be taught considering the children in front of me. Could you provide me with a typical range in regards to how many principles are covered or lessons taught in a week or across a school year?
Teachers in my K-2 building who have taught using the 2003 version of PWS seem to vary greatly across a grade level in terms of how many principles they typically covered in a year. Some say they usually taught one principle per week, some say they taught one principle in a two week cycle, others have been teaching about 2-3 per week. We have 10 classrooms per grade level and across the school our students have very different experiences and exposures to the PWS principles as a result of teachers approaching their pacing so differently. I understand there will be some variation but when some teachers cover 18 principles in a year, some cover 36, and others almost 100, the variation is too wide. What is a recommended range?
Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

There is a MASTER LESSON GUIDE Suggested Sequence for Phonics Lessons provided in the Online Resources for each grade. It includes the concepts (and lessons) that should be covered Early in the Year, Middle of the Year and End of the Year for each grade. The expectation is that the children at that grade level would be proficient in the concepts listed by the completion of ‘that’ time period.

Fountas & Pinnell Classroom includes one or more four-page lessons for each grade level concept within the nine areas of learning. The phonics lessons are designed so that, as you use them, you will always consider the particular children you teach. You will decide which lessons to use and whether or not to modify them to meet the needs of your particular students. Within each area, the lessons are numbered for ease of reference, but the numbering does not imply an unalterable sequence.

Some children may need additional support / teaching for the concepts taught in whole group. Suggestions for Extending the Learning are given on the Master Lesson Guide and in the lessons. You may find it helpful to consult The Fountas & Pinnell Comprehensive Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study Guide to review the continuum of concepts within each area. This will also help determine the concepts that should be known in each quarter of the grade level.

Much of your assessment of children’s learning in the area of phonics, spelling, and word study will be observational. Each lesson offers suggestions for informally assessing the impact of the lesson and application activity, e.g. noticing how individual children are responding during the lesson or during the application. Several quick but more formal assessment procedures (some individual and some group-administered) are available for each area of study, along with record-keeping forms. More formal and systematic assessments can be beneficial
in pinpointing a child’s specific edge of understanding so that you can customize a lesson for one-on-one or small group use.

Perhaps having a discussion with your teachers at each grade level regarding the grade level concepts within the nine areas of learning that are needed for achieving proficiency in processing text might help set goals for instruction. That discussion could help determine the number of lessons they will need to incorporate into their daily/weekly/yearly instruction. It moves it away from the number of lessons required to recognizing the level of need of their students.

We wish you success implementing the F&P system.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link