search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Independent Reading Messages in this topic - RSS

6SanK
6SanK

11/21/2018
6SanK
6SanK
When should I begin book talks and independent reading conferring in the kindergarten classroom? I noticed that in the reading minilessons pacing, I do a minilesson focused on book talks in month 7. I am hoping that your answer will give me insight of what I am trying to implement.
edited by KSanchez on 11/21/2018
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/26/2018
KSanchez wrote:
When should I begin book talks and independent reading conferring in the kindergarten classroom? I noticed that in the reading minilessons pacing, I do a minilesson focused on book talks in month 7. I am hoping that your answer will give me insight of what I am trying to implement.
edited by KSanchez on 11/21/2018

The answer in responsive teaching is always "when your students are ready," based on your observations and assessment. The suggested schedule for the RML is month 7 for students giving book talks so give it a try if this is your first year with them. You are modeling book talks and talking about books from the beginning of the year in your IRA, SR, and other lessons (LA U1 month 1; LA U5 month 3). Students should be engaged in independent reading from early in the year. (MGT U2 in month 1) When you begin Readers' Notebooks and conferring will depend on your schedule but is suggested for month 3 (WAR U1). The sequence may shift each year as you become more familiar with the responsive teaching frameworks and as your students respond to the management lessons.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link