Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

scoring errors on running record Messages in this topic - RSS

User 442191
User 442191

5/5/2011
User 442191
User 442191
If a child consistently reads the word "cafe" for calf, and the word appears six times in the text, how many errors should be counted?
0 link
Ms. S.
Ms. S.

5/26/2011
Ms. S.
Ms. S.
User 442191 wrote:
If a child consistently reads the word "cafe" for calf, and the word appears six times in the text, how many errors should be counted?

I have this question as well. I don't think this means multiple substitutions for a single word in the next, though. If a child misreads a proper noun each time it appears in the text, that is counted as only one error. But, what if a child cannot accurately read a specific content-area word in a nonfiction Benchmark book (such as calf, or seismograph) and each time the word appears, the child makes a substitution (that happens to be an incorrect attempt to sound it out, like the example the previous poster gave)? If the child makes this substitution each time the word appears, is each word counted as an error (and therefore different from proper nouns)? What if the word is not even in the child's vocabulary? Sometimes that makes the difference in accuracy between instructional level and frustration. Thank you for clarifying this!
+1 link
Emily F. (Moderator)
Emily F. (Moderator)
Administrator

5/31/2011
Emily F. (Moderator)
Emily F. (Moderator)
Administrator
Our apologies: In the original first response, one of us read your question hastily and answered incorrectly.

Yes, cafe for calf 6 times means 6 errors. Seismograph misread 6 times also means 6 errors. It doesn't matter if the word is in the child's vocabulary. You are noting how the child takes words apart while reading and gaining insight into their use of visual information. This will provide valuable information for you to plan your word work. It may also give you information on how they use meaning - calf certainly would make more sense than cafe when reading about animals. You can take this into account when analyzing the reading record. If a repeated error occurs and takes the child to the frustration level, you may make the decision to continue to the next level to see how the child does on the next level. You are correct - ONLY proper nouns repeatedly misread are counted as one error.
0 link
User 603248
User 603248

4/23/2015
User 603248
User 603248
If a child read the, "Mrs." as "Ms." in a name, is this counted as an error? Can we correct this the first time being that it is a name? Thank you.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

4/23/2015
If the child reads Ms Brown for Mrs Brown, it would be counted as an error the first time and not again throughout the text. Any time a proper noun is misread, it is counted as an error only the first time, but we continue to record what the child says throughout the text. If the child stops at an unknown word and does not go on, or appeals at the point of an unknown word, then we can give a told. We can not interrupt a child's reading and give a told without an appeal or a stop because that would be considered teaching during an assessment. Instead, our goal is to observe to see if the child notices/self monitors and self corrects. Those are strategic behaviors we want to see happening as children process text.

I hope this helps clarify.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
User 603248
User 603248

4/23/2015
User 603248
User 603248
Thank you, we are currently having the discussion if the Mrs is counted as 1 error or do you count Mrs. Brown as 1 error? Is the prefix counted separatly?
0 link

4/23/2015
It would be very much like Jan Brown read for Jane Brown.... one error: Jan for Jane. If the child read Ms Bran for Mrs Brown, that would be two errors.
Hope this helps!

--
0 link
User 604896
User 604896

5/7/2015
User 604896
User 604896
I have a student who used the word snapped for snipped and was consistent throughout the book. She had a clear understanding of what she read and it did not change the meaning. So do I count it as one error or five errors?
0 link

5/12/2015
This would be counted as five errors. When you analyze for M,S, V: You would note that the child used all three information sources in attempting to solve the unknown word. The child is trying to make the text make sense (M-meaning), sound right (S-structure) and look similar to the word in the text (V-visual). This means he/she is trying to create balance of the three information sources with the ultimate goal of making the reading make sense. This is a good strategy. However, the reader is missing the mark a bit and needs to look more closely at the middle of words. The identified strength is the child is attempting to read for meaning! The consistent errors would indicate that the child is not looking through the word (self monitoring) and needs more instruction in this area. We would of course praise him/her for the great attempt made and then encourage him/her to look more closely through the word!

Thank you for a great question!

--
0 link
User 629230
User 629230

9/8/2015
User 629230
User 629230
Does it count as one error or multiple errors if the student says the wrong pronoun? ex - consistently says 'she' for 'he'
0 link

9/19/2015
All word substitutions are recorded as one error each time the word is substituted (she for he is recorded as an error each time thoughout the reading). This is a strong indicator that the child is not using self monitoring behaviors and needs to be taught what to notice and check when reading. The only time one error is recorded for multiple substitutions of the same word is when scoring proper noun substitutions (a name... Jesse for James, a state...Michigan for Minnesota, etc). Proper noun substitutions are recorded as an error the first time and never again during that text reading.
Thanks for your question.

--
0 link
User 581384
User 581384

10/23/2015
User 581384
User 581384
I understand that when an error is made on a name only the first one counts. Is this still the case when the child changes the substitution when the name is repeated? For example first time reads Jane as Jean, the second time it appears reads John, the third time it appears reads Jenn.
0 link
User 581384
User 581384

10/23/2015
User 581384
User 581384
I apologize. I didn't read the Sept 19/15 response closely enough. I see the answer.
0 link

10/25/2015
Great! Thanks and best wishes as you record and analyze student behaviors! Thes analysis of the recordings is critical to our teaching decisions.

--
0 link
User 666286
User 666286

1/13/2016
User 666286
User 666286
Do the headings in a text count as errors against the student if they skip it. For example, in the Q book, Not too Cold for a Polar Bear, on the first page of the running record they have [Adapting to the Environment]. Do the brackets mean it is optional or indicating that it is a heading in the book. If they skip it, does it count as 4 errors since they omitted the heading?
0 link
User 567609
User 567609

2/5/2016
User 567609
User 567609
I have noticed a trend with the tier III 4th graders I am assessing - several consistently drop the "s" from words. Should this be counted as an error? In the case of a couple of students - their reading levels would jump considerably if this was not an error. I also notice a tendency for students to constantly confuse "them" and "their."

What does it mean when a child sees the word "chimps" and uses the word "monkeys" instead?
0 link

2/7/2016
Dropped endings are recorded and counted as errors. However, if the fluency and comprehension are strong, you may choose to go up to the next level to continue the assessment. You would note that the accuracy was a result of missed endings. Fountas and Pinnell state (in the Assessment Guide) that we sometimes need to go beyond the numbers in our determination of appropriate small group placement. We would then make it a point (during small group guided reading lessons) to instruct word solving by looking to the ends of words as well as making the text make sense and sound right grammatically.
When the child sees the word "chimps" and uses the word "monkeys" instead.....
The child may be 'translating' the text aloud or attempting to make meaning connections. We would want to praise that attempt (during instructional small group settings when we notice that type of processing behavior) and follow up with teaching the combining of all information sources. You might explain that we need to read it as the writer intended.

I hope this helps as you continue to assess and instruct your students!

--
0 link

5/21/2016
You may need to update your assessment recording sheets by using the Online Resources. The headings are no longer in brackets and require the student to read titles and headings as part of the total words read for accuracy.
I hope this helps as you continue your assessments.

--
0 link
User 690057
User 690057

5/23/2016
User 690057
User 690057
If a student is reading a level C benchmark book and consistently reads saw for was seven times in the book. Is this seven errors?
0 link

5/29/2016
Yes, you are correct. That is seven errors. The concern would be that the child is not self monitoring and may not be reading for meaning.
Thank you for your question.

--
0 link