Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

scoring errors on running record Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser74360
FPUser74360
Posts: 1


4/11/2018
FPUser74360
FPUser74360
Posts: 1
Thank you for the great information on scoring errors with names! I hope I am not asking a question that has already been answered, but I would like to know how to count errors when a child flip flops the names of characters within a book multiple times--i.e. Maria for Mama then Mama for Maria, etc.
edited by FPUser74360 on 4/11/2018
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 982


4/12/2018
FPUser74360 wrote:
Thank you for the great information on scoring errors with names! I hope I am not asking a question that has already been answered, but I would like to know how to count errors when a child flip flops the names of characters within a book multiple times--i.e. Maria for Mama then Mama for Maria, etc.
edited by FPUser74360 on 4/11/2018


The same is true... only one error is recorded, no matter whether the child flip flops between names or not, only one error is counted per name. So, when Mama and Maria are being flip-flopped multiple times, it is only counted as one error... the first time per name. The concern with this type of processing ... (i.e. the child flip flops the names of characters within a book multiple times--i.e. Maria for Mama then Mama for Maria, etc.) is that meaning is being lost. Even though the errors may be limited, the critical issue will be the analysis of information sources used. The child used structure and visual cues, but meaning appears to be lost.

I hope this helps clarify.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
FPUser89278
FPUser89278
Posts: 1


9/13/2018
FPUser89278
FPUser89278
Posts: 1
Is it ok to correct the student on how to read the proper noun? If we do correct, is it considered one error still or do we mark it wrong every after? I am just confused because so many people in my school are telling it should be marked as an error everytime and it just the opposite of what im reading here
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 874


9/13/2018
FPUser89278 wrote:
Is it ok to correct the student on how to read the proper noun? If we do correct, is it considered one error still or do we mark it wrong every after? I am just confused because so many people in my school are telling it should be marked as an error everytime and it just the opposite of what im reading here



During an assessment it is never ok to correct a child, that is teaching. The only time a word is Told is in the situations described on the Coding and Scoring At-A-Glance page in your Assessment Guide. When a child stops or verbally Appeals the teacher can say "You try it." If the child tries something, continue coding. If the child stops and does not move on then give a Told. If the child does not monitor an error then the teacher does not stop the child.

Proper nouns are coded each time a miscue occurs but are only SCORED or counted as an error one time for the entire text. Any other substitutions that are repeated are coded and scored as an error each time.

The BAS Online videos explain these coding procedures under the Tutorial section.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
Amanda Broege
Amanda Broege
Posts: 1


9/24/2018
Amanda Broege
Amanda Broege
Posts: 1
Should you read the first page of A and B books? I was under the impression you should not, be at a PD a teacher said she was instructed to do so. I cannot find it anywhere in the assessment guide that it says to do so.

Thank you
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 874


9/24/2018
Amanda Broege wrote:
Should you read the first page of A and B books? I was under the impression you should not, be at a PD a teacher said she was instructed to do so. I cannot find it anywhere in the assessment guide that it says to do so.

Thank you


In the Benchmark Assessment System the teacher does not read any of the texts to the children. That practice occurs in the Observation Survey Testing Packet for Reading Recovery using the Scott Foresman books.

Best wishes as you assess your readers!
Debbie
0 link
FPUser149405
FPUser149405
Posts: 2


1/20/2020
FPUser149405
FPUser149405
Posts: 2
When a student omits a whole line of text and then rereads and self corrects, is each word counted as a self correction?

--
Elizabeth Greemann
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 874


1/21/2020
FPUser149405 wrote:
When a student omits a whole line of text and then rereads and self corrects, is each word counted as a self correction?


Yes.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link
Reader4Life
Reader4Life
Posts: 3


11/29/2021
Reader4Life
Reader4Life
Posts: 3
I know that proper nouns only count as one error throughout the text if a student reads it incorrectly, but is this dependent on the error? Does the error have to be consistent to count as 1 error? Or does it not matter if it is consistent?

Ex: The student reads Jim as Jill, Joe, Jorge, James (A new name is used every time) vs. The student reads Jim as Joe consistently on every page.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 874


11/29/2021
Reader4Life wrote:
I know that proper nouns only count as one error throughout the text if a student reads it incorrectly, but is this dependent on the error? Does the error have to be consistent to count as 1 error? Or does it not matter if it is consistent?

Ex: The student reads Jim as Jill, Joe, Jorge, James (A new name is used every time) vs. The student reads Jim as Joe consistently on every page.

It doesn't matter what the substitution is each time, the proper noun is counted as one error for the entire text read.
Debbie
0 link
Reader4Life
Reader4Life
Posts: 3


12/2/2021
Reader4Life
Reader4Life
Posts: 3
Thank you Debbie!

What if the student corrects the name at the end of the text? For example, they read Gram for Gramps for the whole text until the last page. Is it still only one error for Gramps, even if they self correct at the end?

Thank you so much for helping!


Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
Reader4Life wrote:
I know that proper nouns only count as one error throughout the text if a student reads it incorrectly, but is this dependent on the error? Does the error have to be consistent to count as 1 error? Or does it not matter if it is consistent?

Ex: The student reads Jim as Jill, Joe, Jorge, James (A new name is used every time) vs. The student reads Jim as Joe consistently on every page.

It doesn't matter what the substitution is each time, the proper noun is counted as one error for the entire text read.
Debbie
0 link
Reader4Life
Reader4Life
Posts: 3


12/2/2021
Reader4Life
Reader4Life
Posts: 3
How do you score a when a child sounds out a word but never actually says the word, they just continue to move on with the text?

Ex: I can /h/.../i/.../t/... the ball.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 874


12/2/2021
Reader4Life wrote:
Thank you Debbie!

What if the student corrects the name at the end of the text? For example, they read Gram for Gramps for the whole text until the last page. Is it still only one error for Gramps, even if they self correct at the end?

Thank you so much for helping!


Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
Reader4Life wrote:
I know that proper nouns only count as one error throughout the text if a student reads it incorrectly, but is this dependent on the error? Does the error have to be consistent to count as 1 error? Or does it not matter if it is consistent?

Ex: The student reads Jim as Jill, Joe, Jorge, James (A new name is used every time) vs. The student reads Jim as Joe consistently on every page.

It doesn't matter what the substitution is each time, the proper noun is counted as one error for the entire text read.
Debbie

Yes. I would still count the one error for the book. It shouldn't make much of a difference in the overall score. If this is a BAS assessment I often make a notation about that SC with my overall analysis in case someone questions a decision about placement if this one error does cause the actual score to be a "hard level." I might still place the child as if this is the instructional level. That is why the placement level is more important for guiding instruction on BAS than the actual scores.
Debbie
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 874


12/2/2021
Reader4Life wrote:
How do you score a when a child sounds out a word but never actually says the word, they just continue to move on with the text?

Ex: I can /h/.../i/.../t/... the ball.

The coding-and-scoring-errors-at-a-glance page states that this is scored as an error. The child must say/read the word for accurate reading.
Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link





Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software