search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

F&P Classroom Sequence Messages in this topic - RSS

Kbay
Kbay

2/15/2019
Kbay
Kbay
Is there a document that has the suggested sequence for each component on one document?

I know that they will not always be taught in this order based on responsive teaching, but I would like to see it all together in order to help my teachers with planning and standard analysis based on the suggested sequence. We will begin this system next year and we are beginning to plan and analyze standards now to become familiar with all of the components and resources. Thanks for any help you can provide. :)
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

2/16/2019
Kbay wrote:
Is there a document that has the suggested sequence for each component on one document?

I know that they will not always be taught in this order based on responsive teaching, but I would like to see it all together in order to help my teachers with planning and standard analysis based on the suggested sequence. We will begin this system next year and we are beginning to plan and analyze standards now to become familiar with all of the components and resources. Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

The Fountas and Pinnell classroom system is a leap from what we have previously seen and used as educators. The following, from Terri Beeler, Fountas and Pinnell Consultant, is a great explanation of the system design:

“I think so many of us are so used to “programs” with too much stuff.

While themes may have overlap nothing else might! In true reading workshop shared reading materials might be selected based on strategy instruction. Interactive read aloud might be based on theme, topic, or however else it aligns to other curricular. There is no need to be completely immersed in one genre or skill throughout the day because readers don’t use skills in isolation. Shared reading might be focusing on fluency or close reading while independent reading might be an author study. It’s a shift for teachers as we now have autonomy in what we choose to use. IRA, ML, SR.... may be used as a spiral review or front load. Embrace it as it will get easier when planning. 😊

Please refer to the Fountas and Pinnell Classroom System Guide and other F&P resources such as Guided Reading Responsive Teaching 2nd ed. These texts have wonderful discussions of what F&P refer to as a "multitext approach." (very similar to what has been referred to as balanced literacy or workshop approach). The materials are not designed to be a program such as you might have with a basal. And will not connect based on themes or topics. One of the basic tenets of an F&P approach is that we are teaching children to be strategic. We are not teaching books. ;-)

So the connections will be in what children are learning as readers. And some of those connections will need to be established by teachers based on student needs. It would not be the intention of F&P that each classroom be in the same book at same time as that might not be where the children are. You might start that way at beginning of year but as student needs are revealed, that might change. IRA, SR, GR, IR (and book clubs) are actually a gradual release model so that strategies are modeled and demonstrated in whole class, practiced as a whole group, practiced as a small group and then individually. The screen shot (Four Levels of Support and Five Kinds of Reading) from Chapter 2 of Guided Reading 2nd ed may help! ;-)

As to the PWS, although there is a suggested sequence, that is not the sequence everyone will be using depending on the needs of your children. Everyone may not start with Lesson 1. The suggested SR books are just to suggest what might match for those specific skills and strategies if you wanted to use them either in SR or as part of your word study. Again this is not designed as a program or curriculum. The pieces are being purchased and used in a variety of ways in different schools and classrooms. The more familiar you become with the materials and the understanding of the Literacy Process on which they are based (the Literacy Continuum is your BFF!), the easier it will become. Give yourselves permission to be learners, especially this first year.”

I hope this helps as you ‘embrace’ the new!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
Kbay
Kbay

2/18/2019
Kbay
Kbay
I totally agree and understand this approach- and LOVE it. Just looking for a way to begin the process. Does anyone have any suggestions for how they started the implementation process in their schools to help their teachers see the big picture and to help start the planning process? Thanks!
0 link

2/18/2019
Kbay wrote:
I totally agree and understand this approach- and LOVE it. Just looking for a way to begin the process. Does anyone have any suggestions for how they started the implementation process in their schools to help their teachers see the big picture and to help start the planning process? Thanks!

When you are just starting out, to get the feel of the system... I would start with Lesson 1 of each instructional approach: IRA, SR, ML, etc. That will help get everyone’s feet firmly planted and hit the ground running. When a lesson from IRA calls for a text from SR, you could use that in SR the next day, make connections and still maintain the ‘sequence’ of the SR text sets... i.e. use that SR text again when you get to that theme or topic. Children love repeated texts...especially if you are making new connections. Exposure to the texts mean that teachers can begin to see / notice where they might use that text again for a different lesson.

Since we are removing the idea of a ‘program’, we want teachers to see the value of different texts used to support multiple strategies as we read. As stated in Guided Reading Responsive Teaching Across the Grades, “All of the above contexts, described further in Chapter 2, foster authentic language and literacy learning; that is, students engage in thinking, reading, writing, and talking in a way that reflects the world of literate people.“ Therefore, my suggestion is ... in the beginning, start at the beginning and then as you become more comfortable you can begin to vary your approach.

We wish you the best!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link