search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Younger children aligning with continuum Messages in this topic - RSS

LMichelle
LMichelle

3/7/2019
LMichelle
LMichelle
I teach grade 1 in Canada and my school has a kindergarten cutoff date in March. Meaning a child can be 4 until March of their kindergarten year. I am assuming since, in most states, students must be 5 in Sept, that the F&P charts were created with this age group in mind.

My problem is, we have been directed to use the F&P chart this year as the determining factor of grading our students at or below grade level (which I disagree with). When looking at my class, half of them would still be in kindergarten this year if we had a Sept age cutoff, yet they are being penalized as reading below grade level in grade 1 according to this chart. I am going to attempt to explain this to my admin, but I would like some feedback first. Do I have a point?

Since I can't change the cutoff date (which I badly wish I could do), should I suggest adjusting our expectations for children who would be in kindergarten when compared to US students? I just feel like this resource was created with the thought that kindergarten students would not be as young as ours are! Am I wrong?

Thanks,
-L
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/8/2019
LMichelle wrote:
I teach grade 1 in Canada and my school has a kindergarten cutoff date in March. Meaning a child can be 4 until March of their kindergarten year. I am assuming since, in most states, students must be 5 in Sept, that the F&P charts were created with this age group in mind.

My problem is, we have been directed to use the F&P chart this year as the determining factor of grading our students at or below grade level (which I disagree with). When looking at my class, half of them would still be in kindergarten this year if we had a Sept age cutoff, yet they are being penalized as reading below grade level in grade 1 according to this chart. I am going to attempt to explain this to my admin, but I would like some feedback first. Do I have a point?

Since I can't change the cutoff date (which I badly wish I could do), should I suggest adjusting our expectations for children who would be in kindergarten when compared to US students? I just feel like this resource was created with the thought that kindergarten students would not be as young as ours are! Am I wrong?

Thanks,
-L

There are actually a couple of ways to consider this issue. One is the developmental aspect you have mentioned. The other is that if the students are being held to the K standards then they should meet those expectations.

My suggestion is to look at the behaviors in the Literacy Continuum and make a decision about which level is best for your students. Note on each of those charts the message that local schools and districts should set their own standard expectations based on local data.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link