search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

9/9 comprehension / Accuracy below 95% Messages in this topic - RSS

Granby Memorial Middle School
Granby Memorial Middle School

11 days ago
I am trying to find the highest instructional level for a grade 7 student. At a level W fiction - How I Spent My Summer Vacation, her accuracy fell below 95% but her comp was perfect at 9/9. She does not self correct and generally, her errors do not impact her comprehension. (is for was, my for the, and insertions of "a" and "the") Unfortunately, on this passage, she skipped the 3 word phrase phrase "at the time" so her 9 errors (96%) increased to 12 errors (below 95%)

This student relies heavily on a semantic cueing system and is able to respond well to comprehension questions Within, Beyond and About the text.

If I apply the criteria of below 95% being HARD - I would have to instruct this student at a level T or lower. It doesn't feel right to have her read lower level - when clearly she is able to comprehend higher level text. She is an avid, engaged reader who scored in the very poor range on the TOWRE (Test of Word Reading Efficiency)

Level T Fiction (Placed using Word list)
Accuracy: below 95%
SC: 0
Fluency: 2
Comp: 7

Level U Fiction
Accuracy: 97%

Level W Fiction

Comp: 9

I am not sure if I should go to the next level and see how she comprehends or stop.
Thank you!
Ann
edited by Granby Memorial Middle School on 3/14/2019
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10 days ago
Granby Memorial Middle School wrote:
I am trying to find the highest instructional level for a grade 7 student. At a level W fiction - How I Spent My Summer Vacation, her accuracy fell below 95% but her comp was perfect at 9/9. She does not self correct and generally, her errors do not impact her comprehension. (is for was, my for the, and insertions of "a" and "the") Unfortunately, on this passage, she skipped the 3 word phrase phrase "at the time" so her 9 errors (96%) increased to 12 errors (below 95%)

This student relies heavily on a semantic cueing system and is able to respond well to comprehension questions Within, Beyond and About the text.

If I apply the criteria of below 95% being HARD - I would have to instruct this student at a level T or lower. It doesn't feel right to have her read lower level - when clearly she is able to comprehend higher level text. She is an avid, engaged reader who scored in the very poor range on the TOWRE (Test of Word Reading Efficiency)

Level T Fiction (Placed using Word list)

Level U Fiction
Accuracy: 97%

Level W Fiction

Comp: 9

I am not sure if I should go to the next level and see how she comprehends or stop.
Thank you!
Ann
edited by Granby Memorial Middle School on 3/14/2019

The analysis you have made is exactly why the Assessment Guide suggests "Looking Beyond the Numbers" to decide on the best placement for instruction. There are no hard and fast "rules" about using the numbers alone. Please see the section of your Assessment Guide called Summarizing, Analyzing, and Interpreting Results in order to make your decision. It sounds like your intuitive "gut" is guiding you in making the best decision!

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link