search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Comprehension Struggles Messages in this topic - RSS

Amiha
Amiha

11/6/2019
Amiha
Amiha
I have a few groups of readers (level N and level Q) that have great accuracy 97% or higher, but their comprehension is usually a 4 or less. They struggle on all of the comprehension sections, not just one. I have looked in the continuum of reading book and have not found anything that seems to apply to this. The When Readers struggles Book, did not give me a clear indication on what to do next. Any suggestions?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/6/2019
Amiha wrote:
I have a few groups of readers (level N and level Q) that have great accuracy 97% or higher, but their comprehension is usually a 4 or less. They struggle on all of the comprehension sections, not just one. I have looked in the continuum of reading book and have not found anything that seems to apply to this. The When Readers struggles Book, did not give me a clear indication on what to do next. Any suggestions?

Use the prompts in Prompting Guide 2 starting on p. 7-56 to help facilitate these ways of thinking during your lessons. WRS chapter 17 provides information about Teaching for Comprehending: Thinking Before, During and After Reading. Students who cannot talk about the text show evidence they need more modeling and demonstration of this kind of talking.

I'm not sure which resource you are using. If you are teaching whole group lessons, (IRA), make sure to model how you stop and think in these ways as you read then provide time for students to turn and talk; as you listen in to the students you have this concern about. This could be a good time to provide more explicit instruction as described in the examples provided in WRS chapter 17. When sharing reading or working in a RML have students turn and talk about their thinking. By observing them in small group guided reading lessons you may need to stop and have a chat about what they have read so far.

Sometimes students who score accurately in reading but cannot talk about the text in ways to make connections, describe inferences or predictions, provide evidence of the author's craft or the writing of the author that made them have a particular feeling about the text may not be listening to themselves read. Always talk about the meaning being the most important reason for reading. If you help a student with decoding, always come back and ask them to check that work with meaning and language structure to confirm.

If these comprehension conversations are happening after LLI Reading Records or Guided Reading Running Records, keep in mind that students do not have to restate all of the understandings they demonstrated in the discussion during and after the first reading of the text. These conversations are ADDING to the previous understandings for a total score. See the resources you have for Guiding the Comprehension Conversation (in LLI Online Resources and System Guide). These may not be loaded for the FPC GR Online Resources yet. Check your resources for the updated comprehension scoring rubric.
https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/why-the-comprehension-conversation-is-critical-to-assessment

https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/enhanced-fountas-pinnell-literacy-recording-forms-why-we-changed-them-and-how-it-might-affect-you
https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/Authenticated/ResourceDocuments/Whitepaper_RoleRecordingForms_07-17.pdf

I hope this will help you reflect on your teaching of the students in order to facilitate their deeper comprehension.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link