search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Running Record Indep vs. Instructional level Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser146408
FPUser146408

8 days ago
FPUser146408
FPUser146408
I have a student who was scored at the independent level at Level I and then Level J was too hard for the student so they could not finish. Or another student read well but couldn't pass the comprehension portion. On the F&P student folder would I write Level I as both Independent and Instructional since the next level was too hard? And inside the folder for the Longitudinal Record of Reading Progress (we are only putting circle for instructional level) would I only put a circle next to Level I since Level J was too hard?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

8 days ago
FPUser146408 wrote:
I have a student who was scored at the independent level at Level I and then Level J was too hard for the student so they could not finish. Or another student read well but couldn't pass the comprehension portion. On the F&P student folder would I write Level I as both Independent and Instructional since the next level was too hard? And inside the folder for the Longitudinal Record of Reading Progress (we are only putting circle for instructional level) would I only put a circle next to Level I since Level J was too hard?

These are the situations described in the Assessment Guide section 3 Figure 3.7 Finding an Instructional Level when the numbers don't line up perfectly. Section 3 provides the information to look beyond the numbers in your analysis to make decisions about the recommended placement level. It sounds like you just need to find 2 levels for the graph, but remember it is the 3rd level, Recommended Placement level, that is important for instruction. Use the Literacy Continuum to help you decide where to focus the instruction.

Reading well includes all of the reading, accurate, fluent, and understanding or comprehending. So according to Figure 3.7 for your scenarios Level I should be marked as Instructional. Level H would be Independent. The Recommended Placement would be level I.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link