search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

BAS Error Question Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser87159
FPUser87159

5/26/2020
FPUser87159
FPUser87159
Can someone please explain why the teacher does not tell the student the correct word when they make an error during a running record? When a student appeals to the teacher for help, she says, You Try. Then if the student still can't read the word, the teacher gives the correct word. But if a student is reading along and keeps making errors, I'm understanding that we just keep marking errors and don't intervene. We only provide the correct word if asked.
What is the reasoning behind this? I guess I'm just curious as to why, when asked for help, we don't just say, "try your best"! And if they can't figure out the correct word, they have to move on. It seems more fair to never provide the correct word as opposed to giving the correct word when asked but not give the correct word after a student makes an error. I hope my question isn't too confusing!
Thank you!!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5/26/2020
FPUser87159 wrote:
Can someone please explain why the teacher does not tell the student the correct word when they make an error during a running record? When a student appeals to the teacher for help, she says, You Try. Then if the student still can't read the word, the teacher gives the correct word. But if a student is reading along and keeps making errors, I'm understanding that we just keep marking errors and don't intervene. We only provide the correct word if asked.
What is the reasoning behind this? I guess I'm just curious as to why, when asked for help, we don't just say, "try your best"! And if they can't figure out the correct word, they have to move on. It seems more fair to never provide the correct word as opposed to giving the correct word when asked but not give the correct word after a student makes an error. I hope my question isn't too confusing!
Thank you!!

The record of reading is assessment, a time for observing what the student can do independently. Any kind of comment, prompt, or telling a word is a form of teaching. We need to know what the student does as well as what the student neglects to do so we know where our instruction needs to be focused. We say "You try it" which is generic. We assume the child is trying his or her best so that would not be a necessary prompt. If the child stops and will not move on we simply tell the word to keep the reading moving.

You may find the blogs and other posts, videos, and other resources in the Resource Library helpful in explaining more about this. One can be found at the following link. http://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/the-power-and-purpose-of-assessment

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link