search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

LLI green and orange assessments Messages in this topic - RSS

AjonesJRLF
AjonesJRLF

11 days ago
AjonesJRLF
AjonesJRLF
I am currently using both the green and orange systems with small groups in a primary setting. The lesson guide suggests completing an assessment in the even numbered lessons with one student. My issue I am finding with this is that as the student has previously read the book in the lesson the day before it is not giving me an accurate assessment of reading level or other information as we have already discussed it as a group, including pre-reading questions and comprehension questions.
So, my question is how does this assessment inform my teaching or focus of the group if the text is already known to the student? They tend to make very few errors for me to analyse and I find it more useful to spend the time as I do in the odd numbered lessons, listening to each student and suggesting strategies etc rather than completing the assessments.
Beyond these I use a separate assessment kit and do a formal reading level assessment every 4-5 weeks or as I feel they have moved, which is with a completely unknown text.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10 days ago
AjonesJRLF wrote:
I am currently using both the green and orange systems with small groups in a primary setting. The lesson guide suggests completing an assessment in the even numbered lessons with one student. My issue I am finding with this is that as the student has previously read the book in the lesson the day before it is not giving me an accurate assessment of reading level or other information as we have already discussed it as a group, including pre-reading questions and comprehension questions.
So, my question is how does this assessment inform my teaching or focus of the group if the text is already known to the student? They tend to make very few errors for me to analyse and I find it more useful to spend the time as I do in the odd numbered lessons, listening to each student and suggesting strategies etc rather than completing the assessments.
Beyond these I use a separate assessment kit and do a formal reading level assessment every 4-5 weeks or as I feel they have moved, which is with a completely unknown text.

The purpose and manner of ongoing assessment to guide instruction is to use an assessment of a text that has been taught in order to see if what was taught was learned. If the student is learning what you are teaching you can continue to move forward in the complexity of the expectations found in the Literacy Continuum. If the student does not do well then you know you need to do some reteaching or change your teaching in some way. The comprehension conversation should go deeper than the day you introduced, read, and discussed the text so you are adding to the information from the first discussion, not just repeating it. The blog at the following link explains a bit of this. The Power and Purpose of Assessment (fountasandpinnell.com)
When Readers Struggle chapters 4-5 provide more information about this process. To stop and do "formal assessments" so often is not necessary and typically wasted time that could be used to read another text, possibly at a higher level. FAQ Friday: When to use a cold read vs. a warm read during a reading record? (fountasandpinnell.com)
http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/383
There are many other resources available in the Online Resources and Community Resource Library to better understand this way of using assessment to guide instruction.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link