Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Reading Records Messages in this topic - RSS

DaynaB
DaynaB

25 days ago
DaynaB
DaynaB
I have a group of students who are Level K, Level M, Level N and Level P. I am currently doing level N guided reading books with the group. If I am to do a running record on my lower student (level K) do I do it with a Level N book that we have already covered or a book at her current level?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

25 days ago
DaynaB wrote:
I have a group of students who are Level K, Level M, Level N and Level P. I am currently doing level N guided reading books with the group. If I am to do a running record on my lower student (level K) do I do it with a Level N book that we have already covered or a book at her current level?

When grouping students you try to put those with similar reading abilities together. In GR group you introduce the same book to all students in the group. If you have K, M, N, P all in one group you must use level K books with the group so no student is ever put in a text that is too hard for efficient processing. Analyze carefully to see what the student reading level K needs in order to shift to being successful with level M texts and focus instruction there. Text selection will be very important for a group with such a wide range of behaviors. Read more about text selection and introducing texts in Guided Reading, 2nd ed Section 3, chapters 12-14.
Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link