Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

Centers Messages in this topic - RSS

A.C. in kinder
A.C. in kinder

7/28/2021
A.C. in kinder
A.C. in kinder
I am working on setting up the suggested literacy centers of Fountas and Pinnell. The only information I have found about centers so far are a brief suggestion list of what should be in said centers as well as the center signs. I am confused because the "work on writing center" has to turn in their work, what specifically should they be working on during this time or should it be rather a creation center? Also the word work center suggest word cards with magnetic letters. Is there any suggested num ber of word cards or which type of word cards to use?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7/30/2021
A.C. in kinder wrote:
I am working on setting up the suggested literacy centers of Fountas and Pinnell. The only information I have found about centers so far are a brief suggestion list of what should be in said centers as well as the center signs. I am confused because the "work on writing center" has to turn in their work, what specifically should they be working on during this time or should it be rather a creation center? Also the word work center suggest word cards with magnetic letters. Is there any suggested num ber of word cards or which type of word cards to use?

Specific information about the literacy work centers for Kinder were first explained in the original Guided Reading book and have been revised in the 2nd edition of Guided Reading. Are you using this book as your resource? Chapter 22 provides the details you are asking about. On page 535 one of the criteria listed is "The activity in a center should grow out of your ongoing teaching. For example, the phonics minilesson principle is applied in the Letter/Word Study (ABC) center." On page 540 where the Work on Writing center is suggested it is talking about the Writing Workshop minilesson application toward the bottom paragraph of that section; "...they can work on pieces they started in writers' workshop. ..." It is another place to work on writing independently. So in answer to your question, should it be a creation center?; it depends on where your students are in their development of writing and which part of the writing process they choose to work on. The new Kindergarten WML will provide support for teaching the process of writing. Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ Writing Minilessons (fountasandpinnell.com) https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/fpc/writingminilessons/ The PWS minilesson should guide your decisions in what to put in the Letter/Word Study centers. Chapter 17 provides helpful suggestions about those activities.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link