Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Reading aloud during silent reading portion of BAS Messages in this topic - RSS

Shannon Roney
Shannon Roney

9/15/2021
Shannon Roney
Shannon Roney
If a student asks if they can read out loud during the portion of the BAS assessment where the student is directed to finish the rest of the book reading silently, is that permissable? We know that some students' comprehension may be supported by reading aloud, vs. silently, so we are wondering if this would interfere with reliability of the data?
thanks.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

9/16/2021
Shannon Roney wrote:
If a student asks if they can read out loud during the portion of the BAS assessment where the student is directed to finish the rest of the book reading silently, is that permissable? We know that some students' comprehension may be supported by reading aloud, vs. silently, so we are wondering if this would interfere with reliability of the data?
thanks.

Research actually shows better comprehension when reading silently so I would encourage the student to read silently. If they whisper read for auditory processing I would note that as a behavior to watch. Students should begin reading silently by Level I and read silently during independent reading by level K. If they are reading levels higher than that it needs to be observed and noted to determine if there are processing concerns (neurological) or if it is a habit to be changed.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link