Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Comprehension Conversation Rubric Question Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser5109
FPUser5109

9/17/2021
FPUser5109
FPUser5109
I have a question about the comprehension conversation and how to score using the rubric. Would the expectation be that a student must meet or exceed all the criteria to score in a certain proficiency level?

For example, for Beyond the Text- Say a student is approaching proficiency for inferences and connecting personal experiences to the text, but has a limited understanding of the deeper message. Would I think about where a child is holistically to score or because the child doesn't have all the criteria to be a 2, would I score Beyond the Text as a 1?

I understand within the conversation itself, it should be holistic score and not how many questions a student answered correctly. When we are looking at the specific skills in the rubric is it an expectation to have all of them to score at a certain proficiency level?

Thank You!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

9/18/2021
FPUser5109 wrote:
I have a question about the comprehension conversation and how to score using the rubric. Would the expectation be that a student must meet or exceed all the criteria to score in a certain proficiency level?

For example, for Beyond the Text- Say a student is approaching proficiency for inferences and connecting personal experiences to the text, but has a limited understanding of the deeper message. Would I think about where a child is holistically to score or because the child doesn't have all the criteria to be a 2, would I score Beyond the Text as a 1?

I understand within the conversation itself, it should be holistic score and not how many questions a student answered correctly. When we are looking at the specific skills in the rubric is it an expectation to have all of them to score at a certain proficiency level?

Thank You!

I tend to think of the rubric as a guide in thinking about the instruction needed. Notice the words in italics at the bottom of each score description; "No teaching is needed, ...." For most instructional and some independent levels the scores should be a 2 overall. So If a student does well with making connections and inferring but needs teaching in synthesizing or predicting a score of 2 would be appropriate. If analyzing or critiquing needs instruction, in the lower levels where beyond and about are scored together (which it often does because the texts are just becoming more complex) then a score of 2 is still appropriate. Only when the student communicates few or no connections or inferences as the description says should a score of 1 be given for levels A-K. I highlighted the words that change in those descriptions and the italicized words to help guide my thinking. Perhaps this will help you as well.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link