Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Dialect Speech Patterns Coded as Errors? Messages in this topic - RSS

Jillian.Stroud
Jillian.Stroud

9/24/2021
Jillian.Stroud
Jillian.Stroud
Good morning,

In my training with BAS, I have been taught that dialect (such as an African-American student who drops word endings "ask" for "asks" or pronunciation of "axed" for "asked") does not count as an error. I code it, but do not use it when determining an accuracy score. I have seen the responses detailing pronunciation and ELLs, but this is slightly different. A teacher asked me about this and why this would be true for ask and asks, but not bell for belly. I referred to meaning of the words and speech patterns, but I wanted feedback on if this aligns to the standard scoring of F&P BAS. Thank you for the help and clarification.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

9/26/2021
Jillian.Stroud wrote:
Good morning,

In my training with BAS, I have been taught that dialect (such as an African-American student who drops word endings "ask" for "asks" or pronunciation of "axed" for "asked") does not count as an error. I code it, but do not use it when determining an accuracy score. I have seen the responses detailing pronunciation and ELLs, but this is slightly different. A teacher asked me about this and why this would be true for ask and asks, but not bell for belly. I referred to meaning of the words and speech patterns, but I wanted feedback on if this aligns to the standard scoring of F&P BAS. Thank you for the help and clarification.

The issue is how the child pronounces words in oral language, if the child pronounces 'asked' as 'axed' when talking then will read it that way so it is not considered a reading error but a pronunciation error. This is how we code for children with articulation errors. Any other errors are considered language structure errors so dropping the final s that changes the word tense or plurality is a reading error since it is due to grammatical structures not pronunciation- ask for asks is an error that is used in determining the accuracy score. When analyzing the record, this type of error will probably affect the accuracy rate so you can still consider the recommended placement level based on the analysis, not just the actual score. See the Assessment Guide for "Looking Beyond the Numbers." Bell for belly is also an error.
Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link