Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Timing and Alignment Messages in this topic - RSS

StaceyTeach
StaceyTeach

11/19/2021
StaceyTeach
StaceyTeach
HI-
I believe we are looking to purchase the Grade Level GR sets for our building. In terms of time, at each grade level K--5: are the GR lessons able to be completed in 15-20 minutes, or do they take longer? We use the TC RUOS- is there any alignment between the teaching points in TC and the F&P GR sets by grade level? We address phonics using FUNdations K-2, is there a scope and sequence of the phonics addressed in each GR sets by grade level? I don't want all the classroom teachers being overwhelmed trying to align all the teaching points for their objectives if it already exists. If it doesn't, I worry the GR materials may be overwhelming.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/19/2021
StaceyTeach wrote:
HI-
I believe we are looking to purchase the Grade Level GR sets for our building. In terms of time, at each grade level K--5: are the GR lessons able to be completed in 15-20 minutes, or do they take longer? We use the TC RUOS- is there any alignment between the teaching points in TC and the F&P GR sets by grade level? We address phonics using FUNdations K-2, is there a scope and sequence of the phonics addressed in each GR sets by grade level? I don't want all the classroom teachers being overwhelmed trying to align all the teaching points for their objectives if it already exists. If it doesn't, I worry the GR materials may be overwhelming.

Hi,
There are no alignments of Fountas and Pinnell's lessons with other published products. The FPC Guided Reading is aligned with the FPC Phonics and Word Study Lessons, and all of these resources align with the Literacy Continuum goals. (The phonics principles and goals addressed in each grade level and text level is in the Literacy Continuum.) The Literacy Continuum is aligned with the CCSS so if you wanted to do an alignment with your other products you could. A comprehensive phonics guide might be helpful. The Fountas & Pinnell Comprehensive Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study Guide (fountasandpinnell.com) The Fountas and Pinnell documents to align standards can be found at the following link. Efficacy Studies, Research Base and White Papers on Validity and Reliability (fountasandpinnell.com) The Alignment of Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ is by grade level and the Alignment of Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition has all grade levels in one document.
The GR lessons are very easy to use. They are resources that teachers use to fit into their schedule and classroom design. The suggestion for GR lessons are about a 15-20 minute lesson. Teachers make selections from the menu of suggestions for each text/lesson in order to teach the children in their group each day, following a responsive teaching design. The following further explains the lesson design. What is Guided Reading? (fountasandpinnell.com)
Your local sales rep will be able to provide more detailed and personalized information. Find a Heinemann Representative in Your State - Heinemann Publishing
Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link