Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

BAS System Levels A and B Messages in this topic - RSS

User 487003
User 487003

2/28/2012
User 487003
User 487003
Several of our Kindergarten students get 100% accuracy at Level A, but then are score below 90% accuracy at level B. According to your chart, their independent level would be a level A. Would their instructional level be a B or an A? If their independent level is an A, wouldn't it make their instructional level a B? To me, I would think that if they have mastered a level A, then I would want to instruct them with the level B and to support them at a level B. I know it isn't that far off to use a level a or b, but our district requires us to report the level, and our teachers all want to use the same standard.
0 link
The Fountas & Pinnell Team

2/29/2012
Their independent level is Level A, and you can begin instruction at Level B since they will have your support and teaching. In levels A, B, and C you are teaching children how to look at print and to use print, to 1-1 match (match one spoken word with one word in print), to begin to learn some easy, high frequency words, to notice and use visual signposts of some words, and to notice mismatches. "Reading and rereading these very simple texts will help them gain gradual control of ways to look at and work with print." p. 130 Guided Reading section of The Continuum of Literacy Learning.

If you are using a Guided Reading library with texts by many different publishers, your Level A's may be more of a variety than when you are using the Leveled Literacy Intervention. It would be helpful to read the introductory paragraphs (Continuum of Literacy Learning - Guided Reading Section) to think about readers at Level A, B, and C. Rather than think of mastery of a level, think about behaviors and understandings to notice, teach, and support. The Continuum of Literacy Learning from your Benchmark Assessment System will be a helpful guide.

--

Fountas & Pinnell Homepage
Fountas & Pinnell Blog
Fountas & Pinnell on Facebook
Fountas & Pinnell on Twitter
email the Fountas & Pinnell Team
0 link
Xtina
Xtina

10/3/2016
Xtina
Xtina
Is there a 'term' or descriptors LLI uses when students are not reading level A yet?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10/3/2016
Xtina wrote:
Is there a 'term' or descriptors LLI uses when students are not reading level A yet?

Not really. You may see Pre-A but really Level A is the lowest level and where the teacher is doing the most support. Notice the language in the Literacy Continuum.
0 link