Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

BOOKS IN RED KIT Messages in this topic - RSS

sjr123
sjr123

10/12/2012
sjr123
sjr123
I am very interested in purchasing additional books for the Red Kit. With only six copies of the title, it is very difficult to send the books home. If only one student does not bring it back, it is problematic. I have six students using the kit. Will they be available for purchase? If so, when?
0 link
The Fountas & Pinnell Team

10/23/2012
Additional copies of the full-color books can be purchased in individual packs of six of each title or as a complete pack of six each of the 144 titles, and are available using the Order Form found here: http://www.heinemann.com/fountasandpinnell/pdfs/LLIorderformRED.pdf. They are listed on the form under Individual System Components and then Student Book Packages.

There are no one-color Take Home books as there are in the Orange, Green, and Blue Systems. For more about this, here is some information copied from the LLI Red System Guide FAQ:

Q: In the LLI Red System, why are there no Take-Home (one-color) books?

A: Students in Grade 3 need to learn how to bring school materials home for work and return them to school the next day. They need to learn how to assume borrowing priviledges such as those given in the public library. This is an opportunity to teach students responsibility. In addition, many of the Red System nonfiction books include scientific photographs, charts, maps, and diagrams that would not be effective in black and white. Students can also enjoy the beautiful, colorful books in their original form in the classroom and at home.

Q: Should I send the LLI Red books home with students?

A: Yes! Students need to learn responsibility for caring for books -- taking them home and bringing them back. They have a special portfolio for this purpose. Encourage them to keep the books in the portfolio so they will not forget them as they leave for school in the morning. They should take books home as needed. The new book in the standard (even-numbered) lesson will often be finished for homework.

We hope this answers your question, but if not, please let us know.

--

Fountas & Pinnell Homepage
Fountas & Pinnell Blog
Fountas & Pinnell on Facebook
Fountas & Pinnell on Twitter
email the Fountas & Pinnell Team
0 link
User 422210
User 422210

11/23/2012
User 422210
User 422210
Is there any way to purchase one copy of each of the levelled books in the kit. I am already missing some because kids have not returned them and it would also be useful to have a teacher copy.
0 link

11/28/2012
We're sorry; the books are not available for individual sale.

--

Fountas & Pinnell Homepage
Fountas & Pinnell Blog
Fountas & Pinnell on Facebook
Fountas & Pinnell on Twitter
email the Fountas & Pinnell Team
0 link
tantonucci
tantonucci

23 days ago
tantonucci
tantonucci
It would be really helpful if these books were available to purchase in the black and white. The students get used to the routine of taking them home, and now I feel that I can't send these home. They're expensive to purchase in packs of 6 and my school just doesn't have the budget for that.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

23 days ago
tantonucci wrote:
It would be really helpful if these books were available to purchase in the black and white. The students get used to the routine of taking them home, and now I feel that I can't send these home. They're expensive to purchase in packs of 6 and my school just doesn't have the budget for that.

Thank you for your message. We totally agree with you. In fact, we tried to make them available in black and white, but to get the quality of the captions, detailed pictures and graphs, etc. of the intermediate books to the point of readability, the cost came to almost the same price as the colored books. We could not justify selling black and white books for the same price as the colored. Also, I have heard Fountas and Pinnell state that by grade 3, the students should be learning to take responsibility for borrowing and returning books. They suggested that teachers might try to develop a habit of borrowing and returning the books by first allowing the students to take the books into their classroom only and gradually over time allowing the books to go home. Many teachers report that their students love the books and are returning them in order to get another book. Your decision depends upon your students, your district and school policies, of course.

Best Wishes,
Helenann

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link

22 days ago
sjr123 wrote:
I am very interested in purchasing additional books for the Red Kit. With only six copies of the title, it is very difficult to send the books home. If only one student does not bring it back, it is problematic. I have six students using the kit. Will they be available for purchase? If so, when?

The books from the Red System are available for purchase in packs of 6, page 24, in the catalog linked here: https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/shared/resources/FPL_OrderForm_2-5-21.pdf
The books are only sold in multiple copies of one title since they are designed for intervention use.

Best Wishes for success as you work with your students,
Helenann

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link