Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeProfessional Development

Questions about off-site, on-site, online and university professional development.

Fluency issue Messages in this topic - RSS

User 464552
User 464552

6/11/2013
User 464552
User 464552
I have a second-grade student who is reading at level L. He is able to comprehend what he reads, and does well with the decoding- but he has a fluency issue. All year- he has inserted “uh” in between words. It is never consistent enough to find a pattern, sometimes he will read a whole sentence and not do it, then in another sentence he may do it 3-5 times. He isn’t stuck on the words, and his mother says he does it at home too. I have never held him back in the reading because of this and when I could, I would choral read with him, to help him hear the fluency. I would let him read the passage once through before reading aloud to me, but that never completely stopped it. This problem has not improved over the course of the school year. Any suggestions on how to help him eliminate this fluency issue? Should I not be advancing him in the reading levels? Again - the fluency is not impacting his decoding or comprehension at level L.
0 link
Kathy Northcutt, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Kathy Northcutt, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Administrator

6/18/2013
Your second grade student has developed a habit that you need to try to stop right away. He is practicing a behavior that proficient readers do not exhibit. It seems that you have tried a few teaching practices with him, like choral reading. You will help him if you give him an independent level text that has a natural language structure. Then teach him to read in phrases. Be relentless even if you have to model for him every phrase. Then teach him to "look" at a phrase. He may be surveying print word by word. You can also slide a piece of an index card behind the words he is reading to force his eyes ahead. It won't be helpful to draw his attention to the "uh" he is saying. This is a habit and he will not correct it simply by attending to it. I've personally taught several students who have exhibited this behavior. Good luck! Kathy Northcutt, consultant
0 link