search navigation

Xtina

all messages by user

9/2/2016
Topic:
Take home bags and Writing Books

Xtina
Xtina
Has anyone found a great way to clean the fabric take home bags? I'd love to hear any tips for cleaning.
Also, I'm sure there is a reason, but why are there not lines in the Writing Books for students to write on. I often find my 1st graders and K's have a hard time keeping their writing organized when they encounter such a large white space.
9/29/2016
Topic:
Guidelines for using Reader's Notebooks

Xtina
Xtina
I work in a K-2 school and a few 1st grade teachers purchased the Reader's Notebooks from Heinemann. They asked if there was a guide or information on how to use these notebooks. They were asking about a lesson plan or 'scope and sequence' for introducing the notebooks and when/how to use the different sections in the notebooks.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to use them in a 1st grade classroom please share them. Thanks!!
10/3/2016
Topic:
BAS System Levels A and B

Xtina
Xtina
Is there a 'term' or descriptors LLI uses when students are not reading level A yet?
3/29/2017
Topic:
Students are NOT MOVING!

Xtina
Xtina
I have first grade students that are not making progress, in fact, some have regressed. I have gone back and reread independent and instructional levels in the green box, went back to kindergarten (orange box) and pulled independent levels and went up to second grade (blue box) and pulled independent/instructional levels. I've gone through When Reader's Struggle and have done word work and strategey work with M,S,V (ad nauseam). Any ideas??? Maybe time for diagnostic testing?? I have been working with them for 23 weeks. :((
6/16/2017
Topic:
Study Guide for 2nd Edition Guided Reading

Xtina
Xtina
Hi, I am leading a book group starting this fall using the new Guided Reading book. Is there a new study guide to go along with this book? If so, how can I get it?
Thanks, Christina Mead
8/30/2017
Topic:
Handwriting paper using verbal path

Xtina
Xtina
Hi, I love the verbal path and the groupings of letters made in similar ways. I was hoping to find practice pages with each of the letters, including the wording and arrows for letter formation. Do these exist? Anyone have some to share? Thanks, Christina
11/30/2017
Topic:
Cafe Style Conferencing vs. Guided Reading

Xtina
Xtina
Our school is also moving toward guided reading. I see both conferring and guided reading happening during the readers' workshop. One of the days the teacher could put in time to confer during independent reading with individual readers. This is especially helpful for those students that are reading above benchmark and need less daily instruction. The greatest benefit of a GR group is you can instruct multiple students at about the same level working on the same reading behaviors, more "bang for your buck". Also, GR group instruction is at the students' instructional level. Most of the conferring teachers do is with independent books that are self-selected. GR is where the explicit teaching takes place. Conferring is a good way to confirm your teaching and reinforce what you have already taught.
5/9/2018
Topic:
Alphabet Cue Cards/Strip

Xtina
Xtina
My school has K, 1st, and 2nd F&P Phonics lessons, letters, words, and how they work, 2003. I am trying to get the alphabet cue cards (individual letters with the linking picture). I don't see them. I understand they are in the new F&P Classroom PWS online resources which I do not have, I only have the F&P Classroom GR. Classrooms would like the linking chart in alphabet "strip" form. Is this available? We also have LLI kits Orange, Green, and Blue, yet I can't find alphabet cue cards anywhere. Can someone please help? Thank you!
5/9/2018
Topic:
Alphabet Cue Cards/Strip

Xtina
Xtina
I want the "color" cards, not black and white. Thanks, Christina
9/25/2018
Topic:
Linking Chart for Long Vowel Patterns

Xtina
Xtina
We love the alphabet linking chart and consonant clusters chart for practicing letter, key word, sound. For example, A, apple /a/. Does Fountas & Pinnell have something similar for long vowel patterns such as vowel teams, silent e, and diphthongs?