Language and play are a child's major tools for learning about the world and the most important tools for early literacy learning. Literacy Beginnings: A Prekindergarten Handbook carries the excitement of play into the introduction of reading and writing.
What is it?
Fountas and Pinnell bring their characteristically rich, comprehensive, and practical insights to the frontier of early literacy in Literacy Beginnings. They show you how to tap into young children’s curiosity and introduce them to the world of literacy in joyful, engaging ways through play and language.
Who is it for?
Literacy Beginnings is for prekindergarten teachers seeking to teach young children about the world and themselves through play and language, which are the most important tools for early literacy learning.
What is inside?
This comprehensive volume is full of practical resources like nursery rhymes, poems, familiar children’s songs, book lists organized by month and topic, schedules for both 3- and 6-hour school days, and 35 literacy and language lessons written just for the PreK classroom. It also includes the Continuum of Literacy Learning, PreK.
How is it implemented?
Based on their many experiences in PreK classrooms, Fountas and Pinnell show teachers how to:
- Create a classroom community that is play-based, but prepares children for a literacy-rich world
- Promote constructive learning
- Recognize appropriate language and literacy behaviors for preschoolers
- Use playful ways to guide children to learn letters, sounds, and words
- Support emergent readers and writers through an array of literacy activities.