Select Collections and Genre Sets
Hand-selected and organized high-quality leveled Select Collections and Genre Sets help your students develop the ability to read increasingly challenging texts independently.
What is it?
Fountas & Pinnell Select Collections and Genre Sets are made up of books from the popular PM Readers collections that have been hand-selected, leveled and organized by literacy leaders, Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell. Each collection offers high-quality, high-interest books in a range of genres and topics.
Who is it for?
The Fountas & Pinnell Select Collections and Genre Sets offer students:
- Books to use for guided, independent and take-home reading
- Opportunities to read and reread closely, to think, discuss, and deepen comprehension
- Fluency practice with increasingly more challenging texts
- Expansion of academic vocabulary and disciplinary knowledge
- Expanded language knowledge for English language learners
- No duplication of titles across Collections or Genre Sets
- What is inside?
Each Select Collection or Genre Set includes:
- Resource Guide
- Book list with levels
- Press-on level labels
- Storage Container
- How is it implemented?
Fountas & Pinnell Genre Sets are for:
- Small-group guided reading to reinforce genre understandings
- Independent reading to apply genre knowledge
- Acquisition of content knowledge and academic vocabulary
- Reading and close rereading to identify common genre characteristics in each set
- Higher-level thinking, analysis, discussion, reading across texts to make comparisons
- Preparation for reading longer, more complex texts of the same genre and topic
- Take-home reading.
Fountas & Pinnell Select Collections are for:
- Guided Reading for classroom use
- Independent reading in the classroom or at home
- Take-home Reading to practice with a family member
- Supplemental reading for students in Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention Orange, Green, and Blue systems.