search navigation

HomeProfessional Development

Questions about off-site, on-site, online and university professional development.

Comprehension research alignment w Systems of S.A. Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser6476
FPUser6476

1/16/2019
FPUser6476
FPUser6476
Hi there!
I'm preparing a district-level presentation about the Systems of Strategic Action and I'm curious as to the omission of "Asking Questions," "Visualizing," and "Determining Importance" in Systems of Strategic Action. I was referencing the original comprehension strategy work of David Pearson and came across the difference when trying to correlate it to the Systems of Strategic Action. Why the discrepancy/omission? Thank you!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

1/16/2019
FPUser6476 wrote:
Hi there!
I'm preparing a district-level presentation about the Systems of Strategic Action and I'm curious as to the omission of "Asking Questions," "Visualizing," and "Determining Importance" in Systems of Strategic Action. I was referencing the original comprehension strategy work of David Pearson and came across the difference when trying to correlate it to the Systems of Strategic Action. Why the discrepancy/omission? Thank you!

Asking questions, visualizing, and determining importance are strategic ways of thinking but Fountas and Pinnell have listed them as behaviors, found as goals under the instructional contexts in the Literacy Continuum. It is implied that when searching, monitoring, correcting, solving the reader is asking himself some questions, visualizing the miscue or meaning, noticing and determining the important information throughout the tasks of reading and writing. Thus they are considered behaviors embedded across many strategic actions or ways of thinking. It is really difficult to select what the brain is doing when thinking while reading and writing. Different authors select different terminology to use when describing the process. All of it is usually included somewhere.

Fountas and Pinnell have a series of blogs related to the strategic actions found at the following links. https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/what-are-the-systems-of-strategic-actions
https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/hs-search-results?term=strategic+actions

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link