Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

BAS 3rd Edition Messages in this topic - RSS

readingteacherk2
readingteacherk2

9/23/2021
readingteacherk2
readingteacherk2
We have ordered the newest edition of BAS. We recieved the 3-8th grade system 2, apparently grade k-2 system 1 is on back order. We will not get them for a few weeks. We do have the second edition of BAS (both systems). I have read that it is not ideal to use the 2nd edition and then swithch to the 3rd edition as the comprehesnion discussion has changed and is more rigorous. I feel like I cannot wait for the 3rd edition shipment to arrive. Should I go ahead an dbenchmark my students with the 2nd edition (SYSTEM 1) and then when we recieve the 3rd edtions make a note that there was a change in the editions used? Thought welcome!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

9/23/2021
readingteacherk2 wrote:
We have ordered the newest edition of BAS. We recieved the 3-8th grade system 2, apparently grade k-2 system 1 is on back order. We will not get them for a few weeks. We do have the second edition of BAS (both systems). I have read that it is not ideal to use the 2nd edition and then swithch to the 3rd edition as the comprehesnion discussion has changed and is more rigorous. I feel like I cannot wait for the 3rd edition shipment to arrive. Should I go ahead an dbenchmark my students with the 2nd edition (SYSTEM 1) and then when we recieve the 3rd edtions make a note that there was a change in the editions used? Thought welcome!

The FAQ's found at Assessment Frequently Asked Questions (fountasandpinnell.com) may help with this decision. It does say not to mix editions with the reasons why. At your school/district discuss these reasons and make a decision. If everyone uses the same edition at the same interval period then switches at the same time it may be ok for a transition year. It is not a good idea to mix editions at the same assessment interval.

Check with your local sales rep who may be able to help expedite delivery.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link